Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Wedding veil help
 Login/Join

posted
When my mother made my wedding veil we think we remember dying the lace with tea. My dress was ivory. My daughter is now getting married and her dress is ivory also. She would like to use my veil, but the lace seems to have darkened. Any ideas on how we can lighten it up a little. We don't want it white - just not so "tea" colored. Thanks to anyone for help!!

Posts: 4 | Registered: 25 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Its impossible to tell just how much the veil will lighten especially not knowing the fiber content of your veil.But but Ive always found a "biz bucket" to work with older fabrics.

If the veil is beaded or has lace appliques carefully check the stitching to reinforce before soaking! If it is silk check to make sure it hasn't shattered anywhere.If it has it was stored in a way to enhance ageing and cant be used.

If the veil was treated to a sugar solution back in the day to stiffen it rinse first in a large amount of cool water and check for tears .

Biz is a laundry aid which may be placed in a clean plastic bucket with medium hot water- swirl to dissolve completly before Placing the veil in ( deep breadth) make sure it is all covered by solution and let soak over night.

Gently Hand wash the veil the next day , it may be rolled in a soft large towel to remove excess water and hang to dry.Steam gently to remove any wrinkles.

Best wishes........
Kaaren

patrns4u@aol.com

Posts: 3511 | Location: Henderson, Nevada | Registered: 02 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post