Dress Shop Home Page    livingsoftnw.groupee.net    Discussion List  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Topic Area  Hop To Forums  Sewing Related Things    sewing machine opinions
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

sewing machine opinions
 Login/Join

posted
I have been away from sewing for awhile and just starting back. I am looking to buy a new sewing machine within the next few days and need opinions.
I am thinking of a middle of the line computerized machine. Can anyone offer an opinion on brands to look for or to stay away from? I would love to hear what some of you think of the machines available on the market now. Thanks for any advise you can offer.

Debi

Posts: 5 | Registered: 04 July 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hi Debi

I absolutely love my Brothers. I have a top of the line sewing/embroidery machine Ult2002D and a bottom of the line computerized sewing machine CS8150, which I bought at Wally World as Kaaren calls it. It has a thread cassette which I really like rather than a thread path. I don't know why, you still have to thread the cassette and pop it in the machine. It has a lot of versatility with many stitches and they are both user friendly. I do a lot of home dec these days and it sews all those decorator fabrics with linings usually. It has even sewed several layers of Sunbrella with only a little groaning.

Posts: 147 | Registered: 06 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
When you go to test drive a machine, bring a few fabric samples with you of fabrics you actually sew. Some thing thick, thin, slippery,normal .Don't depend on just the precut samples offered by the machine dealer.

Consider how the dealer responds to your questions and ask about their service and maybe education offerings. Will they spend the time and energy teaching you how to get the most from your purchase and do you enjoy or get frustrated when using their facility.

Does the machine have to go out of town for a cleaning or repair?

I personally have a "thing" for Baby Lock Machines(6)- great straight stitch, and I like the variety of special offerings. I also own Vikings(2) and Singers(3) and have worked on or owned Brother, Pfaffs and Berninas and a Sears long ago.

Select the functions YOU must have, then find a dealer you like and a machine you feel comfortable on that gives a well balanced straight stitch which is way more important than all the other bells and whistles.

Living in two states some distance apart Ive been doubling my sewing rooms.Last summer I added a baby lock esante older model ($600)-used and refurbished to my NY room, this summer I added a Baby lock eclipse Used serger($400) to NY and left my "good" machines out in Nevada- buying used was scary and I lucked out for less than 25% of the cost of new machines of the same quality.

Kaaren

patrns4u@aol.com

Posts: 3511 | Location: Henderson, Nevada | Registered: 02 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
<Anna R>
posted
I with Kaaren way of thinking. It like buying a car. You must test drive it and what kind of service you going to get from that store. I have a fifteen year old Pfaff sewing machine that I love sewing on and a two year old serger that is fun to use ,but before I bought them I knew what features I wanted on them and how much I was willing to spend. I was also thinking the other day would I like to up grade ,but decided that I would buy different feets for both sewing machine instead up gradin them plus it is cheaper. Go to the web site before you go to the store and see want you might want then go to the store and test drive them Good luck.Anna

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the responses. I tried the Brother innovis 400 and going to another store today to try a Janome MC3000 and see what else Janome has. No one in my area has the Babylock that I have found yet but would like to see that too. Any comments on Janome vs Brother?
Will be looking today and maybe get it tomorrow as it will be a Birthday present that I get to choose(within reason of course :-)

posted Hide Post
I own a Janome 8000 which I love,it has many choices of embroidery,along with many stitches, for decorative accents.I have had this machine for several years now.Someday I hope to upgrade to a newer model.You can also check out thier web site Janome.com
Happy hunting debi!

Posts: 1535 | Location: Ontario. Canada | Registered: 05 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The sewing store I went to today didn't have the Janome MC3000 but they showed me the Janome DC3050 which was nice but I didnt like the fact that it had no storage for the extra attachments. The table pulled off from the side to use the free arm, and I found that to be a bit awkward but guess I am just used to mine popping off at the front.
I am more confused than ever now...not sure to get the Brother innovis 400, Janome DC3050 or maybe going to Atlanta ( 1 1/2 hr away) to see what else is available. Decisions Decisions...

posted Hide Post
Debi in regard to your question about buying a new sewing machine I will put my 2 cents worth in. I have 10 machines - not counting the serger. The oldest is an handcrank singer and the newest is a M10000 Janome with all the bells and whistles. I sew on all of them, but my favorites, and the best sewing of the lot continue to be the machines from the 50's, with all metal gears. If I had to chose 1 machine it would be my 1951 Singer anniversary model. It does a perfect stitch, has a wonderful little hum and will sew forever. I have never found that I used very many different stitches to make that a priority. It really depends on what you are wanting in a machine and the type of sewing you do or expect to do. The Janome is a wonderful machine, but I really only use it to do embroidery since I prefer the older machines.

Posts: 30 | Location: Hebron, CT | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hoping someone is online now and can give me some advise. I just spoke to another dealer in my area who is closing out his Singer line. He is offering a Quantum 9940 for 550.00 which he sais wa shis cost. I saw this machine at the place I looked at the Brother nx400 and it was priced 799.00 there.
Can anyone tell me if this is something I should seriously consider over the Brother nx400 at 599. and Janome 3050 at 499?

<Sally>
posted
I love my Pfaff. I have two of them. I have the 2144, upgraded to the 2170 and I have 2124. They have a beautiful stitch and I love the ITD foot. Before I bought these, I had a Pfaff 7570 and I wish I had keep it as well, I would diffenently buy anyther Pfaff.

After saying this, I have to say that a good dealer is as important and the machine. You want one that will stand behind their product and will support it by giving lessons and class.

Hope I have helped.
Sally

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I want to thank every one for the responses. I purchased the Brother nx 400 today and think I will be happy with it.