Sorry to bug ya'll here, I'm just really frustrated. Our old computer got taken out by lightning on 3/30, so we had to buy a new one. Pre-loaded with Vista, it's not like we had a choice.
I haven't been able to even re-install DSD since. A few weeks ago, I called to ask if DSD worked with Vista, and I was told that it did. However, after downloading the latest patches and program, it wouldn't install. Both patch and program halted about a third of the way through with this message : "The current version of the application could not be
determined. The setup will now terminate."
Which it did. I could never get past it, and a follow-up e-mail to LSnw sent a couple weeks ago hasn't yielded a response. Now, I know DSD isn't their beloved flagship program. I've had to fight with it since I shelled out the $99. for it a couple years ago. But I would like to use it - and I was saving for the 'male clothes' pattern package.
So, if you've gotten DSD to work in your Vista, I'd love to know your secret !
Just to make sure you are installing in the proper order- you are downloading the full doll shop program first and attempting to install. after completing the install and adding codes reboot your computer and then add updates.
I don't have a definite answer, but can share a couple of observations:
1. Doll Shop Deluxe uses the same software as Dress Shop for installations. Flagship or not, if Dress Shop will install, DSD does as well.
2. Dress Shop has been tested with Vista and installs and works properly.
3. The error message you received suggests that InstallShield is not working properly on your system. That could mean a registry error or an InstallShield bad file.
4. To fix registry errors, you need to run a registry cleaner utility. There are many and I do not know which are the best.
5. The more likely problem, though, is a bad InstallShield file. Many, many programs will put InstallShield files on your system as they are installed. One of those may be bad. To get rid of that, you have to lose all the old InstallShield crud from prior installations. Here is one way to do that from a user that responded off the boards. We cannot confirm this fix as we are not getting the problem on any test system available to us. But, here is what the other user reported:
"I installed DS 4.75 from the site and it installs for me. But I googled the error message and found:
which has a possible fix:
Go to folder C:\Program Files\Common Files.
Right-click on the InstallShield folder - choose rename and change the name to InstallShieldOld."
Board Administrator, Dress Shop App
IT WORKS !!! Oh, I am sooo happy ! Sorry it's taken so long to try your advice - but as soon as I got healthy, Beloved Hubby got sick ! Today's the first day I've checked mail in weeks.
You're right - I had a bad InstallShield file. I follwed the off-board advice you thoughtfully enclosed (after reading it carefully, of course !) and renamed IS to ISOld, and the lastest download installed like the champ it's always been. I think that's part of why I was so frustrated, it's always downloaded like frozen silk before !
Luckily, I always print the measurements once I have a good fit, so I'm off to enter those for about eight dolls. I'm so happy to get DSD back, it's like getting it brand new all over again ! HappyHappyJoyJoy !
Thanks for your help - and putting up with my brattitude ! I really was being a witch, and I'm sorry...but can you blame me when I can't use your great product ?
Thanks - and I'll try not to bug you in the future unless I'm buying something !
Dorrie, who's happy as all Heaven.
Yehaaaaa.So glad you are up and running!
Let you imagination out to play and Have Fun!
|Powered by Social Strata