Dress Shop Home Page    livingsoftnw.groupee.net    Discussion List  Hop To Forum Categories  Doll Shop  Hop To Forums  Doll Shop Topics    Help to choose a doll, please
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Help to choose a doll, please
 Login/Join

posted
I use DS to make clothes for (among others) my nearly 5-year-old granddaughter. I'd appreciate advice about what kind of a doll I can buy for her to play with and to dress in clothes that match her own. (No, I'm not into doll-making; I'm solely a garment-maker.) GD is 5-going-on-50, with vivid imagination. This needs to be a play-with doll (not just dress-up and look-at) - her first after a very old and beloved "baby" doll. What do you suggest?

Marj (aka "Bedstemor" - the Danish for grandma)

Marj in Southeastern PA
DS Pro everything
MPD Pro current

Posts: 220 | Location: zipcode: 19087 | Registered: 09 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
<Ali>
posted
Hi Marj! The American Girl dolls are well made 18" dolls that even have a line of clothes to match little girls. You can find them at Americangirl.com Similar dolls by Gotz, who is no longer in business can be found on eBay. All the young girls here just love their AG dolls. They are soft bodied and very well made. Tonnerdoll.com is another US Manufacturer who makes excellent dolls, although more the collectible type, but some for play as well. There are knock offs of the soft bodied 18" dolls in the discount stores here, but none made as well as the AG or Gotz. Either of those would be a perfect choice. Hugs, Ali

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hi Marj, I just joined this goupr and saw your inquiry about an appropriate doll for your 5 yr. old granddaughter. I'm late in replying but wanted to suggest the Magic Attic Club dolls. They are made by Rober Tonner at roberttonner.com and are 18" tall. I gave one to my granddaughter (now 16) nine years ago with a wardrobe of clothes that I made and she loved it. I like it better than the American Girls dolls since it has a vinyl body instead of cloth and therefore does not have the unattractive neck joint of the American Girl dolls. Just a suggestion if you have not already purchased a doll.

Posts: 3 | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks, Paula...I'll check them out.

Marj in Southeastern PA
DS Pro everything
MPD Pro current

Posts: 220 | Location: zipcode: 19087 | Registered: 09 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hi again Marj,

After I sent the first email about Magic Attic dolls, I realized that they are no longer made by Robert Tonner. I checked Ebay and there are plenty available at really good prices. You might want to check them out. Good luck!

Posts: 3 | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks again, Paula. I'll get on this task when T'giving travel is done.

Marj in Southeastern PA
DS Pro everything
MPD Pro current

posted Hide Post
Right click anyplace on your screen and select properties. Click on the appearance tab at the top. Look at the bottom of this window and you will see one that says font. Click on it and change it to large. This should make things easier to see. I also own a Dell Inspiron 6000 and that seemed to work okay for me, tri-focals and all.
Bye
Pat

Posts: 113 | Registered: 06 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Talking about dolls here,made me think of years ago, when there were double headed dolls, that shared the same skirt,if you turned the doll upside down,you had the head of the opposite doll,anyone remember those kind?foget what they were called in name.I don't make dolls with DS,I stick with making for me ggggls.Plus all my DGK are grown up now.

M.P.D4.Pro.MPD Tools
Collections-Spring- Summer-Fall- Winter-Jeans Machine.
Windows7Home Prem. IE10

Posts: 1535 | Location: Ontario. Canada | Registered: 05 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hi Freda,
I had one when I was a little girl, mumble, mumble years ago. ggg
I think they were called Topsy Turvy Dolls. There was one that a black friend of mine had that when turned upside down on one side was a black doll. I liked hers better than I liked mine. None of my other friends had one like that one. So I guess that's why I liked it.
Those are the only 2 I remember.

This may make others think about those good olde days, ggg.

Bobbieann

Posts: 228 | Location: Somewhere, Arkansas | Registered: 06 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
<Ali>
posted
You can still get a pattern for one of these on eBay. Smiler I bought one not long ago. It's called a Cinderella Up-side down doll and has one side with her patched dress and one with her ballgown. Smiler Ebay even has some of the original Topsy Turvy dolls for sale every so often, in varying condition. As a doll collector, I have purchased a number of dolls, that I had in my childhood, from auctions on eBay and am still able to enjoy them. With the help of Doll Shop, I still sew for them. Most of the sewing I do now is for my own or others dolls, and I love it.

Hugs,
Ali

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thats the name! Topsy Turvy dolls,I coudn't remember the name at all lol.I agree there, it may give the younger generation some ideas.Smiler

M.P.D4.Pro.MPD Tools
Collections-Spring- Summer-Fall- Winter-Jeans Machine.
Windows7Home Prem. IE10

Posts: 1535 | Location: Ontario. Canada | Registered: 05 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post