Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

RAM
 Login/Join

posted
Am going to invest in a lap top which I will use D6 and all bells and whistles. Also have an embroidery program 3D studio. Can anyone tell me the minimum RAM I will require for it to work at a reasonable speed.
Marge UK

Posts: 237 | Registered: 06 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
PeggyM, I am so glad you asked that today, because I was about to ask that same question. I would also want my embroidery programs set up with it. I don't have a laptop as yet, but was wanting to make sure it had enough RAM, because DS & my embroidery set-up needs lots of room for the graphics.

So I would hope if anyone answers this...please answer to this list also, not just privately to PeggyM as I am on digest so will get the answer the following day.

Bobbieann

Barbara

Posts: 228 | Location: Somewhere, Arkansas | Registered: 06 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wow, this is so weird...My signature is old on this site & has been updated from DS6 Pro Fashion Designer Suite 6.092 to 6.11, but it didn't show it here. Will have to investigate to find the answer. I've copied & pasted the right one below.

Bobbieann
DS6 Pro Fashion Designer Suite 6.11, w/FD 1 & 2
Spr. & Sum. 2005 Collection, Active Wear 2, Fit Tool,
Princess Designer, Illusions, Ultimate Outerwear,
Ultimate Pants, Sew Quick, Addon #1 thru #14
All pattern sets through 1044, #1045, #1046,
#1049, #1050, #1051, #1052, Hat Shop & Home Dec Sampler
Win XP SP2, IE 6, HP OfficeJet 6110-All-in-one

Posts: 228 | Location: Somewhere, Arkansas | Registered: 06 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Bobbieann, this was asked and answered on the DSdiscussion list. I suggested that in addition to RAM you also look for a lot of video card memory (512Mb). That's what a graphics intensive program like Dress Shop needs.

Tessa
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
DS Deluxe
v6.13 on desktop
v6.09 on laptop

Posts: 141 | Location: Edmonton, Canada | Registered: 06 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bobbieann:
PeggyM, I am so glad you asked that today, because I was about to ask that same question. So I would hope if anyone answers this...please answer to this list also, not just privately to PeggyM as I am on digest so will get the answer the following day.

Bobbieann

As Tessa said I got a lot of replies on the other list. Look under RAM. I am now set to go
Marge UK

posted Hide Post
RAM rule:

Look at the most memory-intensive program you plan to run, then double its minimum requirement. Don't get less than 512MB, no matter what!

I WILL win the stash battle even if it means hocking the cats!

Posts: 10 | Location: Far West | Registered: 07 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
OK, now I am confused. I thought this was the DS discussion list. If it is not how do I get to it?

Posts: 152 | Registered: 11 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
No one seems to have answered you Elaine. It used to be on the Livingsoft site Dress Shop Discussion but I looked and it is only this one that is noted.Can anyone help Elaine on how to do this.
Marge UK

posted Hide Post
The other DSDiscussion list hosted at Lyris is at
http://lyris.livingsoft.com/scripts/lyris.pl?enter=dressshopdiscussion
You will need to bookmark the address for yourself as it is no longer linked from the Livingsoft website.
The Lyris list was the original discussion list, it is still functioning although no longer the official list.

Tessa

Posts: 141 | Location: Edmonton, Canada | Registered: 06 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
PeggyM, I may be a little late in on this, but I am using a laptop and it is also wireless. I just checked and it has 448 MB of RAM and 13 GB. I have never had a problem with anything to do with DS or Embroidery Suite and 3D Embroidery...I also have quite a bit of music stored on my laptop. I have just received from my husband, for my birthday...and external harddrive with 200GB on it, but it isn't hooked up yet and I still have approx 2.62 GB left on my laptop...just want to be ready! So...I guess more RAM is always better, but my 448 RAM on my Pentium 4 laptop has served me very well.

Posts: 208 | Location: West Texas | Registered: 10 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Michelle:
PeggyM, I may be a little late in on this, but I am using a laptop and it is also wireless. I just checked and it has 448 MB of RAM and 13 GB. I have never had a problem with anything to do with DS or Embroidery Suite and 3D Embroidery...I also have quite a bit of music stored on my laptop. I have just received from my husband, for my birthday...and external harddrive with 200GB on it, but it isn't hooked up yet and I still have approx 2.62 GB left on my laptop...just want to be ready! So...I guess more RAM is always better, but my 448 RAM on my Pentium 4 laptop has served me very well.

Thanks Michelle.It is now bought and we also got the wireless router. DH still playing with it so but it is so nat.
Marge UK

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Peggym:
quote:
Originally posted by Michelle:

Thanks Michelle.It is now bought and we also got the wireless router. DH still playing with it so but it is so nat.
Marge UK
What is a wireless reuter please,and is it needed if one has high speed internet?

Posts: 1535 | Location: Ontario. Canada | Registered: 05 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Board Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
What is a wireless reuter please,and is it needed if one has high speed internet?

A router is a device you can have in your home to take your internet connection and split it to multiple computers, so everyone in the house that has a computer has equal access to the internet.

A wireless router does that without any wiring. Get a laptop with a wireless network card and you can work anywhere in your house or yard and still be connected to the net. If your weather is nice, work outside if you like. Or, just take a computer to your sewing room and still have that internet connection.

Board Administrator, Dress Shop App

Posts: 1868 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: 01 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hi Freda,

I was going to answer this but didn't have the correct wordings. But this is exactly what we did with my laptop & dh's computer in the spare room. (He plays poker but not for money just points, on it & watches all his sport shows, that way he doesn't tie up the computer & tv in the living room.) Does he spoil me or what? Smiler

I was going to tell you this after class today but forgot...

Gentle Hugs,
Bobbieann

posted Hide Post
Bobbieann,
Looking for a way to connect with a fellow MPD user. I am stuck and wonder if you have heard of this problem. I have tried to buy a pattern and the password slot is filled with some kind of error and I have not found a way to clear it out.
JA (Sunday and Tue. class member)

Posts: 19 | Registered: 23 August 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post