Dress Shop Home Page    livingsoftnw.groupee.net    Discussion List  Hop To Forum Categories  Dress Shop App  Hop To Forums  Dress Shop Topics    Re: Dress Shop 9_11 Download Master
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Dress Shop 9_11 Download Master
 Login/Join

posted
Hi Bob,
I can't install the Dress Shop 9_11_Download_Master.exe. I've downloaded it each time and tried to install it on a computer with Windows XP, one with Windows 8 and one with Windows 10 and had no luck. The file won't even start installing.

I had no trouble installing My Pattern Designer MPD4_00b_Download_Master.exe or reinstalling DS9_09a_download_master.exe

I was wondering if you could check the Dress Shop 9_11_Download_Master.exe file and see if you can find anything wrong with it.

Thanks for your help Bob.

Regards,
Mary Hall

Posts: 4 | Registered: 07 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Board Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Hi Bob,
I can't install the Dress Shop 9_11_Download_Master.exe. I've downloaded it each time and tried to install it on a computer with Windows XP, one with Windows 8 and one with Windows 10 and had no luck. The file won't even start installing.

I had no trouble installing My Pattern Designer MPD4_00b_Download_Master.exe or reinstalling DS9_09a_download_master.exe

I was wondering if you could check the Dress Shop 9_11_Download_Master.exe file and see if you can find anything wrong with it.

Thanks for your help Bob.

Regards,
Mary Hall

Hi Mary,

I just tried installing on a Win10 system and also got a failure. I had already confirmed that Dress Shop itself works fine on Win10. Mine worked with no changes when I upgraded from Win7 to Win10 a bit ago. But, it appears that the install program does NOT work with Win10. Still looking into this and I will let you know once we have figured a way around it.

- Bob Clardy

Posts: 1868 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: 01 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Board Administrator
posted Hide Post
It is not an Install program issue after all. If I install using a copy of that which was already on my system, it works fine. But, if I download it, then run it, it fails. That suggests that Microsoft has added some nifty new security feature to protect us all from malware from the net. I am the admin, so that is not it. It may be something to do with permissions or authorizations, but I have not found it yet. Still looking...

Posts: 1868 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: 01 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hi Mary and Bob. I recently reinstalled DS9.11
on Windows 8. I think I both right clicked the exe to run as Administrator, and also checked the compatibility right at the start. It is running as XP Service Pack 3, which the first time in an age where the program loads and works without errors on this unit, except for missing the bottom of a few menu options, which I believe don't apply when configuring the particular patterns I was working on..
As an added note: I have successfully installed 9.11 on win 10 without using the compatibility option. This unit had upgraded from Win7 on an 32 bit computer, but the Win 10 upgrade from Win 8.1 on my X64 machine has never been stable. Win 8.1 upgrade is no longer available, so am working on Win 8 on a partition, and preparing to experiment with a virtual machine with Linux or Unix when I have time. Do have to keep an eye on what is in the MS Updates to ensure that they don't sneak another attempt at upgrading through the back door. Hope these notes help.

Helen M
Sth Australia
DS9 Pro
Ultimate Outerwear,
Ultimate Pants.
Add Ons 1 - 14,
Pattern Sets 1044,1046, 1049,1050. & other.
Autumn 2009
Ultimate Lingerie & Loungewear '23

Windows 11 x64 Pro
Canon IX6860

Posts: 77 | Location: Australia | Registered: 09 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ps. You can turn off Windows security features before downloading if you suspect they are interfering in any way, but don't forget to have something that works as well or turn back on again after.

My book of troubleshooting is getting fatter by the day Wink

Posts: 77 | Location: Australia | Registered: 09 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I just did the free upgrade from Windows 7 Ultimate to Windows 10. I downloaded DS9-11 and installed it. It is running just fine for me. My problem is Windows oriented - the screen and task bar blink and resent.

Posts: 113 | Registered: 06 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thank you Bob, it is nice to know you have not deserted us! I am glad to see that DS will be compatible with Win10!!
Kathy
No Cal

Posts: 25 | Registered: 29 April 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hi Helen,
Thanks for your notes. All ideas help. I've tried running as Administrator and changing the compatibility to Windows XP Service Pack 3 and it hasn't worked. I've never had any trouble installing downloads before either for Dress Shop or My Pattern Designer. This download I tried installing on 4 computers, each running a different Windows - XP, Win 7, Win 8 and Win 10 - and I couldn't get it to install on any one of them. My Windows XP is a 32-bit version, Win 7, Win 8 and Win 10 are 64-bit versions.

Bob's still looking and he's a good problem solver. I'm hoping he can find another solution.

Regards,
Mary

Posts: 4 | Registered: 07 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Board Administrator
posted Hide Post
Hi all,

So, for those having any unusual or new difficulties downloading and installing Dress Shop, I do have some news. I was having this problem all last week, but only on a system using Windows 10. The download would not run if I used either Internet Explorer, Chrome, or Edge (the new Win10 browser). The download DID run properly if I downloaded using Mozilla Firefox.

This week, I have updated all my browsers to the latest versions and everything now works properly. I believe that Win10 had some issue with Chrome and Internet Explorer and those were resolved with the most recent updates to those browsers.

I have still had no good results using the Edge browser. It either crashes itself or crashes my entire system. I consider that browser to be unstable and not suitable for general use at this time. Just my personal opinion.

So, if you have had any unusual or different issues installing a download from the Livingsoft web site on a Win10 system, be sure to update your browser and try again. If you continue to have any issue, let us know. Best wishes all....

posted Hide Post
Re Edge Browser in Win 10.
Hi Bob, unless it has had a drastic makeover, I found Edge browser to be a View only browser ? with enhanced security. To do any e banking or downloading it opens an IE window anyway.......
It worked so much like a useless tablet browser with all the weird menus and tabs hidden away (to save screen space??) that I completely removed it from one of my systems and haven't noticed any problems.

posted Hide Post
I, too, have not been able to install DS on my new windows 10 PC. I have downloaded using both Chrome and Firefox. Every time I have tried to install it I get the following error message -5006:0x800700b7 and been told to contact Livingsoft.

Selma in VA

Posts: 32 | Registered: 06 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
As a last resort after not being able to install DS on my new computer I tried a disc that I had copied the program from my previous computer a couple of months ago. It worked. I then tried the same thing with MPD but got the same error message that I got with a new download.

Selma in VA

Posts: 32 | Registered: 06 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Board Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
I, too, have not been able to install DS on my new windows 10 PC. I have downloaded using both Chrome and Firefox. Every time I have tried to install it I get the following error message -5006:0x800700b7 and been told to contact Livingsoft.

Hi Selma,

Sorry for the delay dealing with all of these. We have been fighting power outages and Internet outages all week. Hard to get anything done...

So, this problem is different and a bit more routine. For anyone, in the future, that gets an actual error code, always start by entering that into Google to see what the world has to say about it. This code refers to "User Account Controls", a Windows security feature that I personally detest as it prevents a computer user from being the administrator of their own computer. This feature is suitable for offices that have an expert computer user on staff and all other workers are not allowed to change things (like install software) on their computers. As this rarely applies to home use, I always turn off "User Account Controls" on every system I ever touch. Windows hates that, of course.

Here is the Microsoft guidelines about this setting and ways around it. #4 may be all you need, but I prefer to do 1 through 3 myself.

quote:
CAUSE:

The User Account Control Windows feature is enabled on the machine and the user might not have full administrator privileges, so the User Account Control Windows feature is preventing the user to launch "setup.exe".

ACTION:

1. Disable the User Account Control Windows feature on the local machine.

2. Verify if the user is part of the local_administrator group or only a member of the Domain Administrators group.

3. Restart the operational system because the User Account Control is a Windows feature handled as a driver, so it will be necessary to restart the operational system to apply the User Account Control Windows feature changes.

4. Right mouse click on the "setup.exe" and select the option "Run as administrator" option.

Board Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mr. Pat:
I just did the free upgrade from Windows 7 Ultimate to Windows 10. I downloaded DS9-11 and installed it. It is running just fine for me. My problem is Windows oriented - the screen and task bar blink and resent.

Hi Pat,

Regarding the screen blinks when running Win10, I am seeing that also, though it has nothing to do with any particular application. I can boot up and just sit there reading a newspaper (those old fashioned paper ones) and the screen will black out for a second a time or two when nothing in particular seems to be happening.

I do not see a blinking task bar per se, but during the first several minutes after booting, many / most / all of the launch icons on the screen will refresh - go to a generic icon, then back to the custom graphic for each program. That behavior settles down a few minutes after booting.

I believe that both of these behaviors are caused by Win10 displaying the desktop before the boot process is far enough along. I also suspect that these minor irritants will be cleaned up in a Win10 update at some point, once more urgent features and security issues are stable.

All of that is just an opinion, though. I am not a Windows expert in any regards, just trying to figure out what my system is doing after my own recent upgrade.

If you learn anything different, please share...

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Board Administrator:
Hi all,

So, for those having any unusual or new difficulties downloading and installing Dress Shop, I do have some news. I was having this problem all last week, but only on a system using Windows 10. The download would not run if I used either Internet Explorer, Chrome, or Edge (the new Win10 browser). The download DID run properly if I downloaded using Mozilla Firefox.

This week, I have updated all my browsers to the latest versions and everything now works properly. I believe that Win10 had some issue with Chrome and Internet Explorer and those were resolved with the most recent updates to those browsers.

My name is Anna. I am a new member of the Dress Shop team. Please see this post for my quick self-introduction.

Specifically, the current versions of Internet Explorer and Chrome are:
Internet Explorer: 11.0.10240.16603IS
Chrome: 47.0.2526.80 m
Your browser should be at least those version.

--
Anna

Posts: 108 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: 10 December 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post