Dress Shop Home Page    livingsoftnw.groupee.net    Discussion List  Hop To Forum Categories  Dress Shop App  Hop To Forums  Dress Shop Topics    Ideas for enhancement and requested/suggested features
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ideas for enhancement and requested/suggested features
 Login/Join

Board Administrator
posted Hide Post
This is definitely one of the more requested features. I will make sure to implement it in the next release of Dress Shop. Thanks for the feedback!

Posts: 1868 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: 01 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Anyone else having this problem?

I just got a new computer and tried several times to download the DS master.
I have had DS since version 2 and have been a tester for DS & MPD for years.. Am currently using Windows 8.1 on an HP.
I download the program - no problem w/ the download. I save it , close all programs then try to run it but when I run it it loads about 3/4 of the way then I get the message “The current version of the application could not be determined. The setup will now terminate”. This had happened for 4 tries. I have firewalls and anti virus off. Thanks for your help, Bonnie Triola

Posts: 7 | Registered: 11 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Board Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
I download the program - no problem w/ the download. I save it , close all programs then try to run it but when I run it it loads about 3/4 of the way then I get the message “The current version of the application could not be determined. The setup will now terminate”. This had happened for 4 tries. I have firewalls and anti virus off. Thanks for your help, Bonnie Triola

Hi Bonnie,

Sorry you are having difficulties. That master has not been changed for about a year now, so I do not believe it has any issues. There is a step in the install where the installation program checks to see if you already have installed some later version of the program. This is just a standard bit of the installer, nothing we would otherwise choose to use. It sounds like that step is failing on your computer. I would suggest the following:

1. Uninstall all prior versions of Dress Shop as there is something bad there.

2. Look on your computer in the Documents area for a Dress Shop folder. Manually rename that. You could delete it, but you would then lose any saved charts or saved patterns that are in there. So, if you wish to recover those, just rename it for now.

Try the install again. If it now works, find the newly created Dress Shop folder in the Documents area, delete it, then rename the old one back to "Dress Shop" again, so you have access to your old data files.

If none of this works, the last suggestion I would make is to upgrade to Windows 10. Win8 is an abomination and has issues that no other version of Windows has had. Win10 is still free and is much better.

Hope you can get there without upgrading Windows....

- Bob

Posts: 1868 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: 01 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I would love to be able to save the pattern so I can take to print shop to print out full size.

Posts: 2 | Registered: 23 June 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This is an interesting concept, and one which I have heard from time to time. I have been using DS (and MPD) since 1998, so I am quite used to taping patterns together. I have, on occasion, saved one for a while, but I find that I rarely use exactly the same pattern twice, so I am unwilling to pay for printing of something that I would rarely use.

It's interesting how we each have our own way of using the software.

Carolyn Brown
DS Educator
MPD Pro
DS Pro

Posts: 234 | Registered: 08 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Board Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
I would love to be able to save the pattern so I can take to print shop to print out full size.

I have done this several times. What you should do is:

1. Get a PDF print utility. I used the free one called PrimoPDF. Install that and you can then print to PDF as an option to printing to your printer.

2. You then need to set the page size in Dress Shop to be large enough so that the entire pattern fits on one sheet. In "File - Settings", check the box labeled "Draft for a plotter". That will make the pattern draft to a single sheet.

3. Then, when you print, be sure to select PrimoPDF as your printer. Click on "Properties - Layout - Advanced - Paper Size". Select "Postscript Custom Page Size". Enter a page width and height large enough to include your full pattern piece.

4. Print it to a PDF file. That, you can then take to a print store and they can print it on their large format printers. Works fine. Well, it worked when I tried it at least....

- Bob Clardy

posted Hide Post
Thank you I will try that.

Posts: 2 | Registered: 23 June 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Bob, how much does it cost to have a pattern printed out? I supposed if it is a pattern that will be used over and over, it could be well worth it. Especially if they had a thicker more durable material to print it on.

Kathy

I have done this several times. What you should do is:

1. Get a PDF print utility. I used the free one called PrimoPDF. Install that and you can then print to PDF as an option to printing to your printer.

2. You then need to set the page size in Dress Shop to be large enough so that the entire pattern fits on one sheet. In "File - Settings", check the box labeled "Draft for a plotter". That will make the pattern draft to a single sheet.

3. Then, when you print, be sure to select PrimoPDF as your printer. Click on "Properties - Layout - Advanced - Paper Size". Select "Postscript Custom Page Size". Enter a page width and height large enough to include your full pattern piece.

4. Print it to a PDF file. That, you can then take to a print store and they can print it on their large format printers. Works fine. Well, it worked when I tried it at least....

- Bob Clardy[/QUOTE]

Posts: 25 | Registered: 29 April 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Board Administrator
posted Hide Post
Kathy,

Kinko's and such places can print large-format paper sizes. I think they're quite expensive though. The last time I looked, it costed $30-$40 for one sheet of large-ish printing, I think 24"x36".

A note about printing on large format paper: do NOT check the "Draft for a plotter" box in "File" -> "Settings". I don't think that works very well.

Instead, print to a "PDF printer". I use PrimoPDF, a free PDF "printer"; a PDF printer is an application that mimics a real printer and produces a PDF file, which PDF file can be sent to a printing shop e.g. Kinko's, for printing.

I have printed a pattern to one PDF file, with a custom page size of 40"x60".

You will need to do a bit of manual configuration, because printing on large format paper is not something that home user normally does so there is not a convenient way to do this configuration.

Open Windows Explorer (called "File Explorer" in newer versions of Windows) and browse to: Document\Dress Shop
Open the file MyDSSettings.txt (save a copy of it first) in Wordpad or Notepad.
Add the following lines at the end of the file:

PaperWidth=40
PaperHeight=60
LeftMargin=0.5
RightMargin=0.5
TopMargin=0.75
BottomMargin=0.75

Then do:

File -> Print...
Zoom to 100%
"Print Selected Page(s)"
In the "Print" dialog, select "PrimoPDF" and click "Properties"
In the "Properties" dialog, click "Advanced"
In the "Paper Size" menu, select "PostScript Custom Page Size"
In the "PostScript Custom Page Size Definition", set "Width" to 40 and "Height" to 60.
Click "OK", "OK", "OK", "OK".

In the PrimoPDF window, click "Create PDF".
Browse to a directory, enter filename and click "Save".

It sounds like a lot of steps, but it's really not.

posted Hide Post
I tried this one time with disastrous results - the pattern pieces were large enough for the jolly green giant! BUT, is there a way to get all pattern pieces to print to one piece of paper?

Posts: 61 | Registered: 22 May 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Board Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by WendyKay:
I tried this one time with disastrous results - the pattern pieces were large enough for the jolly green giant! BUT, is there a way to get all pattern pieces to print to one piece of paper?
Hmmm.... Did you use PrimoPDF? The reason I ask is that different PDF "printer" applications may behave differently as far as scaling goes, so I just want to eliminate the variables. Here is a screenshot of my Acrobat PDF Reader displaying the 40"x60" pattern piece. Please note two things:
  • The document is displayed scaled at 7.86% which confirm that the actual size of the pattern piece is correct.
  • The "File -> Properties" window shows that the document is 40"x60" in size.
As for printing all pattern pieces to one piece of paper: I'm afraid that is not currently possible. Sorry! I can definitely look into the possibility of implementing it for the future.

posted Hide Post
Yes, I did use PrimoPDF, But when I PDF'd it I could somehow scroll with the mouse & change the size so I figure it was my screw up & not PrimoPDF's fault, or that is what I think. I have a newer computer now & when I try it now I can't do anything to the PDF file at all - so hopefully if I try that again it won't be an issue.

Posts: 61 | Registered: 22 May 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hello Anna, Is there any chance Dress Shop will do something for Outerwear as they did in MPD? I'm thinking Moto Jacket and classic Trench Coat. I live in a colder climate where we use Jackets and Coats for 3 1/2 seasons.
Thank you for considering.
Anya

Posts: 63 | Registered: 23 December 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Board Administrator
posted Hide Post
Anya,

I don't know what you meant by "do something for Outerwear as they did in MPD"? Assuming that you meant "Dress Shop offering outerwear patterns as did MPD", Dress Shop has motorcycle jacket patterns for both women and men, but unfortunately, they are offered in collections that are currently not for sale. I could look into making those collections available again...

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Anna Nguyen, Dress Shop App:
quote:
Originally posted by kt:
What a great introduction! Great to have you on board!
Thanks!
quote:
I am looking forward to a great future for DS. Maybe with 3D printing we can get custom-made dress forms one day?
Kathy
Er... let's not get carried away with the ideas, haha Smiler !

Seriously though, the ability to 3D-print is a great idea. It's a huge idea though, especially if coupled with 3D topological scan of a body! I think the idea is big enough around that one can build a whole company!

Just like to say obtaining accurate body measurements has been my biggest obstacle in using Dress Shop to its greatest potential. Have I got stories! I have begged on the forum for someone in the Chicago area to help me. I paid two dressmakers but they just could not get it, could not break their usual measurement habits.

Posts: 38 | Registered: 09 March 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post