Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Welcome Anna
 Login/Join

posted
Another thing I wish was easier: taking your own measurements. Yes I know that having someone else measure you is ideal. But let's face it, not many people own DS and it is difficult for me, at least, to find someone who is willing to take 50 measurements needed to get an accurate fit. And as I get older the measurements need to be redone every so often....<sigh>

Posts: 25 | Registered: 29 April 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I understand completely. My daughter and husband don't have the patience to do it and since I have gotten older and have lots of bulges I'm embarrassed to have someone take them.

Posts: 13 | Registered: 07 October 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Have you looked on the Livingsoft website? There used to be a list there of people who would do measurements for a fee. All of these people have had some training in exactly how to do the measurements so that they will work well with the software.

Carolyn Brown
DS Educator
MPD Pro
DS Pro

Posts: 234 | Registered: 08 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I agree that it's always better to have a helper to take measurements, but I manage to get pretty good results doing it by myself with a couple of "tricks":
  • I use a liquid eyeliner pen to make marks on my body to measure between. For example, I draw lines on my shoulder where the should seams would be, with marks at base of neck and at the sleeve seam, draw a line around my arm-body juncture where the sleeve seam would be, make marks at center front waist, side waist, center back waist, etc. Measuring from point to point yields pretty accurate measurements.
  • I use a mirror to measure behind my back, or if I can't look in the mirror without contorting and messing up the measurement, I take a vid of the measuring with my cellphone.

Also, check meetup.com for sewing groups near you. They're good for helping each other out with things like measuring and fitting etc.

--
Anna

Posts: 108 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: 10 December 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have used either Dritz's 1/4 inch quilting tape or a 1/8 inch art tape that I get in Staples to mark the reference points on a body. I also find it useful to keep your old sloper and try it on. If you have lost weight you can pinch out the excess and measure the change so that you can edit your measurements. If you have gained weight you can slash the sloper in the tight areas and measure the spread between the cut edges for the amount to change the measurements. Be sure to make a new sloper to reflect your measurement changes. I write the date of the changes on the sloper so that I know what I am working with.

Selma in VA
DS educator
DS Pro and MPD Pro

Posts: 32 | Registered: 06 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You can also use washable markers to mark points on your body.

To get the front/back split, I tie a heavy washer on the end of a long string. I hold the string under my arm, then mark where it hits from bust to hip, and repeat on the other side. Be sure not to twist your body. A helper is nice, but you can do it yourself.

To get the shoulder seams straight, use a ruler, and draw along it. If the two sides don't match, just change one. Put a cross mark at the shoulder points.

I like to leave the marks on the body until I gave confirmed that the measurements look reasonable. Enter all the measurements in DS and look at your sloper. Does it look reasonable? If not, recheck the measurements or your accuracy in entering.

Remember, it doesn't have to be perfect. Get something you can use. As you make garments you may decide to make small changes to improve the fit. If it is pretty good, it will be better than any pattern you can purchase, and it will be good for countless garments.

Good luck!

Carolyn Brown
DS Educator
MPD Pro
DS Pro

Posts: 234 | Registered: 08 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
•I use a mirror to measure behind my back, or if I can't look in the mirror without contorting and messing up the measurement, I take a vid of the measuring with my cellphone.

Anna, can you elaborate on this? How can you measure behind you back using a mirror? Or taking a video? I can understand noting the numbers at certain points of your body but how do you make the tape measure stay in place if your are supposed to be in a relaxed position? Maybe a video of yourself taking measurements of yourself would help....

Posts: 25 | Registered: 29 April 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kt:
•I use a mirror to measure behind my back, or if I can't look in the mirror without contorting and messing up the measurement, I take a vid of the measuring with my cellphone.

Anna, can you elaborate on this? How can you measure behind you back using a mirror? Or taking a video? I can understand noting the numbers at certain points of your body but how do you make the tape measure stay in place if your are supposed to be in a relaxed position? Maybe a video of yourself taking measurements of yourself would help....
Some back measurements are definitely difficult to take accurately. For me, it'd be, say, center length back, full length back (side neck to waist), and the mother of them all Smiler , shoulder slope back (shoulder/sleeve seam - center back waist). I position a full length mirror opposite my wall mounted make-up mirror so I can see my back without twisting. The tape measure has large enough numbers so it's only slightly difficult to read the measurements in the mirror.

Alternatively, I'd set up a camcorder on a tripod (you can alternatively tape your phone to a door). I'd start the recording then stand with my back fairly close to the camera and hold the tape up to its measuring positions. I then play back the vid to see the measurements.

If the measurement points are not precisely where they should be or if the measurements are slightly off, I think that would still be OK because I'd be making a sloper first in any case and I can fine tune the measurements when I fit that sloper.

--
Anna

Posts: 108 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: 10 December 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Another way to measure B neck to W and shoulder slope is to anchor the tape to the B waist and bring it over to the F waist (use a bridge across the bust) and note the total and subtract the F from the total.

To get floor to waist numbers stand on a firm board ( I us a small rotary cutter mat) and tape the measuring tape to the mat with the 2" on the top of what you are standing on. Just don't forget to subtract the 2" from your numbers.

Joan in Concord, CA

Posts: 45 | Location: End of message | Registered: 07 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My name is Kelly Loftice. I am one of the original purchasers of the program Smiler
After you have constructed a sloper, take a black marker and draw a line onto the correct side of each seam you have made. Put your sloper back on and check the position and drape of the black lines. That will help you see if you measured and sewed correctly.

Posts: 272 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: 05 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post