Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Pattern Designer
 Login/Join

posted
Is not allowing me to activate the patterns that I already own. It states that the website is closed. So how do we get our patterns back. It will not print or anything else

Posts: 6 | Location: Pflugerville, Texas | Registered: 19 February 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You are referring to My Pattern Designer, yes?

As I mentioned in the other thread, MPD and Dress Shop are now separate companies. The two applications are separate and different. I believe MPD is working on making their server available again so MPD users can activate their MPD.

In the mean time, I suggest you check out these threads on here for how to get going again with your MPD:

http://livingsoftnw.groupee.ne...08521/m/543006801101

http://livingsoftnw.groupee.ne...08521/m/896007601101

Posts: 47 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: 11 December 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just got back to sewing and found out I can't get any patterns for MPD does any one out there have any little girl patterns for this software?

Posts: 13 | Registered: 03 September 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You can use any patterns that you own. Just use the child’s size.

Carolyn Brown
DS Educator
MPD Pro
DS Pro

Posts: 234 | Registered: 08 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
thats nice thank you for your fast reply. I only bought 3 patterns and had 17 credits left but I guess I can use the basic ones that came with the program right?

posted Hide Post
Yes, and the possibilities are endless if you use the tools available. Change the neckline, sleeves, length, etc., and possibly much more, depending on what version you purchased. Be creative and enjoy new clothes!

Carolyn Brown
DS Educator
MPD Pro
DS Pro

posted Hide Post
Okay came home excited opened software I have MPD2 pro
I wanted to make a plain A-line dress for my granddaughter with armhole princess shaping but the tools are not highlighted with any of my dress patterns I guess the MPD pro patterns didn't have a dress with the tools for princess line or am I just not finding it? Thank you so much in advance for your help.

posted Hide Post
If you have MPD Pro you should have it. I think A-line dresses have their own classification. I just got a new computer and haven’t installed MPD yet, so I can’t check for you. Maybe I’ll have time to install it tomorrow.

Carolyn Brown
DS Educator
MPD Pro
DS Pro

posted Hide Post
Choose Dresses/Armhole Princess

Carolyn Brown
DS Educator
MPD Pro
DS Pro

posted Hide Post
Thank you for your help. the only problem I have is I don't own any of the patterns with the princess armhole the only pattern with any prince line is one with waist not a A-line. pattern 15522211 I find it hard to know what I have every time I try for a dress I don't have the pattern. Wish there was a way I could print out a list of what I have. Never worried about it before because I could just buy what I needed. Such a shame it's nice easy software to use. The Capri's I made with it 11 years ago were the best fit I ever had. Thank you again. I am going to look around maybe someone is selling their old software with patterns. Till then I will have to deal what I have. Have a wonderful day

posted Hide Post
What if you kind of “morph” two patterns together? Start with a dress that you like and overlay the princess blouse to get the princess line.

Do you know how to rotate darts? If you print a darted dress you can rotate the side dart to the armhole and connect the bottom of the side dart to the top of the waist dart.

When I first got DS IN 1998 (before mpd) the pattern choices were much more limited. We learned to pick a style line that was close to what we wanted and make whatever changes we wanted. As the software became more sophisticated people started depending on the software for all the changes. Personally I like the challenge of going beyond what the software can do.

Carolyn Brown
DS Educator
MPD Pro
DS Pro

posted Hide Post
Carolyn

Sounds interesting; I do not know how to rotate the darts can you do this in the software?

posted Hide Post
No, you can’t do this is the software.

Print your pattern with side bust and waist darts. Include the shoulder dart in the back. Cut it out. It works best if yiu cut off the seam allowance on the side, back shoulder, and armseye.

With your pencil, redraw the darts so that they go all the way to the bust point (estimate for the back). Draw a gentle curve from the armsye (maybe from the notch) to the bust point. A French curve helps.

Cut on the new side dart lines. Cut to, but not through, the bust point. You need to leave a little hinge. Cut on the line you drew from the armscye to the bust point.

Carolyn Brown
DS Educator
MPD Pro
DS Pro

posted Hide Post
Part II

Close the side dart and tape closed. A new armscye dart will open up, creating the princess line. Make sure the shape of the curve is smooth. Cut apart on the waist dart lines and add seam allowances.

Repeat with the back, rotating the shoulder dart to the armscye.

If you want the seam to go all the want to the hem of the dress, draw a line, parallel to the grain line, from the bottom of the dart to the hem and cut on this line,

The “darts” that you have cut away will give the shaping you need when you sew the seam.

I hope this makes sense. You can Google how to convert darts into princess seams.

Carolyn Brown
DS Educator
MPD Pro
DS Pro

posted Hide Post
Part III

One thing I forgot - since you are going to separate the pattern into two pieces (center and side), you need to draw a new grain line parallel to the original, but on the side, so that each pattern piece will have a grain line.

It’s hard to explain without visuals, so you might want to google it. There are some videos, but most show only the waist dart. I think it is easier to start with waist plus side bust darts (or shoulder for the back).

Maybe someone else can add something. It’s easier that it sounds.

Carolyn Brown
DS Educator
MPD Pro
DS Pro