Dress Shop Home Page    livingsoftnw.groupee.net    Discussion List  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Topic Area  Hop To Forums  Sewing Related Things    Problem with tension on sewing machine, any ideas?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Problem with tension on sewing machine, any ideas?
 Login/Join

<NoelBlakley>
posted
Hello,

I have a Silver crest sewing mach.Its been great up until this week when suddenly the bottom thread isnt stitching. I understand that means the top thread tension is too loose but I havent changed any settings at all on it, the tension is always set at AUTO which is mid way on the dial. I tried increasing the tension but it will only work (for a few stitches) right up at 9 (max tension) and then of course the thread breaks. Google tells me it might be thread/lint caught in the tension discs but I havent a clue where to access them? I did take off the front cover and the thread seems to be tensioned by a spring and nothing is caught in it, cant see any discs and I didnt want to go messing about with it. So , has any one any magic solution or failing that where can I get it repaired (in the Laois/Kildare area).

Please help.

I didn't find the right solution from the Internet.

References:-
https://www.magicmum.com/phpBB...c.php?f=114&t=484829
Animated video company

Thanks

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NoelBlakley:
Hello,

I have a Silver crest sewing mach.Its been great up until this week when suddenly the bottom thread isnt stitching. I understand that means the top thread tension is too loose but I havent changed any settings at all on it, the tension is always set at AUTO which is mid way on the dial. I tried increasing the tension but it will only work (for a few stitches) right up at 9 (max tension) and then of course the thread breaks. Google tells me it might be thread/lint caught in the tension discs but I havent a clue where to access them? I did take off the front cover and the thread seems to be tensioned by a spring and nothing is caught in it, cant see any discs and I didnt want to go messing about with it. So , has any one any magic solution or failing that where can I get it repaired (in the Laois/Kildare area).

Please help.

I didn't find the right solution from the Internet.

References:-
https://www.magicmum.com/phpBB...c.php?f=114&t=484829
Animated video company

Thanks

I can't really add much more than what's already covered in the magicmum.com thread. I can only add that in my experience, the vast majority of problems with stitches forming is with tension: either tension is set wrong, or the machine is threaded wrong resulting in wrong or no tension, bobbin thread not going through its spring loaded channel like it's supposed to, and sometimes broken parts e.g. broken tensioning discs. I do find it surprising that tensioning discs or their spring can break. They're pretty simple devices that are not under that much stress; I'd think if they fail or break, it'd be more pathological modes of failure.

Less often, it'd be other weird "corner cases" like the "hook" on the bobbin carrier that spins around and picks up the upper thread to form a stitch being deformed from being dropped or being hit by a large needle.

Posts: 47 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: 11 December 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I remember seeing instructions in a sewing machine repair book (local library) to use a folded dollar bill or a strip of muslin, folded to avoid loose threads, to "floss" between the tension disks to clean lint or bits of thread out.

I don't know where the tension disks are located on the machine that was being asked about - but usually on the front of the machine between the spool and the needle and behind a dial where the thread goes down, wraps in the disks, and then back up...some newer machines may have them on top of the machine (my embroidery machine has them on top).

I've used compressed air to clean the tension disks as well.

Renee Graham

Renee Graham
Home is where the sewing room is!

Posts: 31 | Location: Fort Bend, Texas | Registered: 06 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hopefully your problem has been solved by now. But, I have a bernina sewing machine and I've had disastrous results if I happen to put the bobbin n it's casing wrong.

Posts: 61 | Registered: 22 May 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had a similar problem with my Brother CS6000i.
Here are some tips:

Step 1
Insert into the machine a piece of scrap fabric of the same type you will be sewing.

Step 2
Make a few stitches to see how the tension needs to be adjusted.

Step 3
Turn the tension dial to a lower number to reduce tension if loops appear on the surface of the fabric. This indicates the tension is too tight.

Step 4
Turn the tension dial to a higher number if loops appear on the wrong side of the fabric. This indicates the tension is too loose.

Step 5
Continue to adjust until the tension is correct, indicated by strong seams that do not pucker or loop excessively. Remove the scrap fabric and sew the piece that needs to be sewn.

Instructions are from hunker website. Helped me to resolve the issue.

--call me Ivy

Posts: 5 | Location: Seattle | Registered: 26 June 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post