Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Paper piecing
 Login/Join

posted
Presently I am practicing paper piecing,I must say that it can be addictive.What do others say here on the list about it?
I went to quilterscache and downloaded a simple pattern to try it out.I plan to put 4 small blocks onto the back of a vest i am making to match some pants i recently finished. Ohhhh the fit it absolutely wonderfulboth pieces too.

Posts: 1535 | Location: Ontario. Canada | Registered: 05 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've done a fair amount of paper piecing. What I like about it is it's very precise with very sharp points. However, it's not faster which is what I had thought before trying it. Also, make sure you cut your pieces of fabric large enough, especially for pieces on an angle. Ask me how I know! The other thing that's nice is that you don't have to cut pieces on the grain because the paper stabilizes it. Make sure you leave the paper in until you have all the pieces sewed.

Karen in Lancaster Co. PA

Posts: 20 | Registered: 08 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I did a practice on paper piecing,but made a mistake on cutting some pieces large enough,we don't learn unless we try it eh?so next time i shall measure the correct piece to apply to the next one.Smilerthanks for your help on this karen.Smiler

Posts: 1535 | Location: Ontario. Canada | Registered: 05 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think we all have the tendency to avoid wasting fabric, so we try to get it as close as we can. However, if you're like me, I can't really tell if it will cover the whole pattern until I turn it over. It has to do with that whole spatial thing that I don't have. Anyway, you don't really have to measure. Take your fabric, lay it right side up over the pattern, hold your hand against the sewing line and you will see how big you have to cut it.

Sandi

DressShop Pro 7.02a, MPD Pro 3 Version 3.01, Unlimited Womens Collection, Complete Pants Designer, Fashion Designer I & II, Fit Tool, Princess Designer, Ultimate Pants, Essential Lingerie, Ultimate Outerwear, Spring and Summer Collection 2005, Sew Quick Summer Casuals, Hat Shop, Home Dec, EPSON Workforce 1100 wide bed printer, Windows Vista and Windows 7

Posts: 58 | Registered: 06 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SandiC:
I think we all have the tendency to avoid wasting fabric, so we try to get it as close as we can. However, if you're like me, I can't really tell if it will cover the whole pattern until I turn it over. It has to do with that whole spatial thing that I don't have. Anyway, you don't really have to measure. Take your fabric, lay it right side up over the pattern, hold your hand against the sewing line and you will see how big you have to cut it.

Sandi
Thanks Sandi,I shall put that to practice next job!