Dress Shop Home Page    livingsoftnw.groupee.net    Discussion List  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Topic Area  Hop To Forums  Sewing Related Things    Advice for new sewing machine
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Advice for new sewing machine
 Login/Join

posted
Hello everybody,

My sister has asked me to buy for her a basic sewing machine. I am planning to give her my own one and buy a new one, more complete, for me.

My sewing machine is a mechanic one. I'm quite satisfied with it but I would like to have more stiches. I am doubting if it's better to jump to an electronic machine. What is your opinion? I would appreciate your advice, your opinions have been very useful for me so far!

Regards,
Dolors

Posts: 55 | Location: Lleida (Spain) | Registered: 21 November 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Dolors, I would definately update to a new sewing machine,they are so much fun to use, with patterns included plus downloadable ones off the net.On the other hamd if you don't do a lot of embroidery,just get one with a few more patterns included with it.I have a Janome 9700 and love it! I am able to save designs to a card reader too,take it over to my sewing machine and embroider a pattern.

Posts: 1535 | Location: Ontario. Canada | Registered: 05 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thank you very much!

Posts: 55 | Location: Lleida (Spain) | Registered: 21 November 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dolors:
Hello everybody,

My sister has asked me to buy for her a basic basic kid sewing machine. I am planning to give her my own one and buy a new one, more complete, for me.

My sewing machine is a mechanic one. I'm quite satisfied with it but I would like to have more stiches. I am doubting if it's better to jump to an electronic machine. What is your opinion? I would appreciate your advice, your opinions have been very useful for me so far!

Regards,
Dolors

Try Janome - I love their machines. I prefer mechanical over computerized (mine is Janome HD3000) as there are less things to go wrong with it - at least from my experience, mechanical machine trends to be more reliable than an electronic, also they're cheaper to fix in case something went wrong.

Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.

Posts: 3 | Location: Kansas-City | Registered: 03 March 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you want an easy to maintain mechanical machine at $100 or about there - an older mechanical machine might be a good option. The all metal machines from the early 1970s or earlier can be a lot simpler to figure out how to oil & clean out the lint while giving a good straight stitch and a few other stitches without anyone feeling like they need a computer degree to figure things out.

If your budget is a little higher - then there are still some sales going on for mechanical machines with some extra stitches that the older ones just don't usually do - but newer ones with motherboards that do two or three (or ten) dozen stitches will likely be a bit higher priced and possibly a bit more finicky.

If you have a sewing machine store/dealer in your area - it's easier to get warranty service that way than it is if you've bought a machine from a big box store with no repair department, where your option is to return it to the store quickly for a refund or exchange or mail it off to the manufacturer for any repairs...

I've found the sewing machine reviews on PatternReview.com to be useful - a simple member is free - and the information can be very useful as they have a lot of sewers at a wide range of experience...and a wide range of budgets, to glean opinions & advice from.

Renee Graham
Home is where the sewing room is!

Posts: 31 | Location: Fort Bend, Texas | Registered: 06 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There may be older machines on the local Craigslist website or Trash Nothing/Freecycle mailing lists. I would remind you that a lot of the sellers have no idea what maintenance might have been done on a machine that they inherited or found - so the condition of the machine would be something to be considered carefully.

It is possible to find used machines at flea markets as well - but again - you don't know what kind of shape it's in until you look at it, try to turn the handwheel to see what happens, and restoring an older machine might be more of a project that you want to take on.

Renee Graham
Home is where the sewing room is!

Posts: 31 | Location: Fort Bend, Texas | Registered: 06 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the good advice, just trying to find a suitable model for the purchase, but until now I could not find any practical information. There is only hope for an article on this topic on the website Jons Guide

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Brian_Rodgers,

Posts: 2 | Registered: 27 April 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Children's sewing machines are not suitable if you want your child to really learn to sew something. It is best to choose a sewing machine for a beginner , so that in case of success, you do not have to buy a new one in 2 months.

Posts: 2 | Registered: 21 May 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This thread is quite informative. https://bestsewingmachineforbe...hines-for-beginners/ top sewing machine for beginners today

Posts: 2 | Registered: 20 August 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post