New
Find
Notify
Tools

Chair for sewing room
 Login/Join

posted
Ladies, I'm in need of advice.

Since I'm going to re-do my current sewing room I decided to upgrade my furniture as well. Here comes the question: do you prefer regular chairs w/o wheels, office ones or so-called chairs for sewing when piecing? I guess, it all depends on personal preferences and tastes, still, if you would be so kind to share your current setup with me, I'd be extremely grateful.

Another question is - I was told office chairs and sewing chairs are not the same. What makes a "sewing chair" different from an office chair? Both should roll and provide proper support, I guess. And certainly, they look the same (except the sewing chairs are more expensive from what I found). So what's the difference (if there's any at all)?

So, thoughts anybody?

--call me Ivy

Posts: 5 | Location: Seattle | Registered: 26 June 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I found some commonsense notes about what is most likely to go through anyone's mind when considering sewing comfort. I notice that the specialized sewing chair appears to have quite deep padding. The pricier office chairs tend to have 'ergonomics' in the way they fit to the back and curve away under the thigh. As a clothing sewist I prefer saddle stool myself, which I can walk/scoot around on and easily move (on chair mats if not hard floor) to access machines that are close by. I don't sit for great lengths of time but do find that even with non-skid ripple under the foot pedal of the machines they still tend to slide away on the shag carpet where the machines are set-up (have become a great fan of auto-sew button). I find the saddle helps keep the curvature of my spine, and means my back is more comfortable. One of my fellow DS users also has a bad back and simply does all her machining standing .

https://www.mostcraft.com/best-chairs-for-sewing/

Helen M
Sth Australia
DS9 Pro
Ultimate Outerwear,
Ultimate Pants.
Add Ons 1 - 14,
Pattern Sets 1044,1046, 1049,1050. & other.
Autumn 2009
Ultimate Lingerie & Loungewear '23

Windows 11 x64 Pro
Canon IX6860

Posts: 77 | Location: Australia | Registered: 09 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a Bernina that I inherited from my mom but they are way too expensive. Walmart sells Brother which I have heard others on here recommend. Sears sells Kenmore which I personally know are an excellent machine.

singer beginner sewing machine

Hi, I'm Mark Scott from USA

Posts: 2 | Registered: 08 July 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sadly - the Kenmore name got sold off by Sears years ago - the more recent models were made by Janome, which is still in business.

As to chairs - I find an armless secretary chair or other comfortable office chair on wheels works best for me. I was using an antique chair at my mother's house (antique chair came from my grandmother's house) a couple of years ago, stood up & tried to push it back & the leg on the chair snagged on the carpet - then snapped & I ended up on the floor, tangled in the chair. Mom had the chair fixed but is using a rolling chair NOW.

Renee Graham
Home is where the sewing room is!

Posts: 31 | Location: Fort Bend, Texas | Registered: 06 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post