Dress Shop Home Page    livingsoftnw.groupee.net    Discussion List  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Topic Area  Hop To Forums  Sewing Related Things    Hot Weather Travel Clothing
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hot Weather Travel Clothing
 Login/Join

posted
Some of you folks from farther south or experienced travelers may be able to help me with this. We're planning a Middle East Tour in September of this year.
Our information recommends "loose-fitting cotton, preferably light colour to reflect the sun. We also recommend that you take along comfortable walking shoes".
Have you tried to buy all cotton no wrinkle fabric lately? Years ago I had a Swiss Cotton dress that was so comfortable and it really didn't wrinkle. However I just don't see this anymore, there is usually some synthetic, lycra, or they really don't make pretty souvenir pictures due to the wrinkling. Any suggestions or sources would be helpful.
Anya
MPD Pro and DSPro

Posts: 63 | Registered: 23 December 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Last summer we attended a wedding in the Thai countryside and another reception in Hawaii. It was very hot in Thailand. I made a couple of tops from a very light weight Power Dry from Malden Mills and a skirt, dress and slacks in linen. I also had a RTW shirt in some nylon fabric (maybe from REI or LL Bean) with roll up sleeves and vents under the arms from waist to armpits. I had pants with zip off legs in another nylon or blend fabric that was very light weight and breathable. There is a lot fabric in use today that is suitable for warm climates that goes beyond cotton or even linen. And some fabric was even bug repellent. Do be careful of the sun. I wouldn't overly worry about wrinkles.
Have a great trip.
Carol in CA

Posts: 21 | Registered: 07 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks Carol, your comments are what I needed to hear. I do have a few pieces of wicking fabric I had ordered to test out. So now I'm motivated to get them sewed up so they are ready to test drive when the warm weather finally arrives. At the end of last summer I also bought my husband a pair of zip off synthetic pants like you described. Our winter hasn't left us here yet so it's hard to get the hot weather mind set.
We're also obligated to travel very light, something I'm not used to.
Thanks again.
Anya

posted Hide Post
Which countries will you visit? I just wanted to mention that you might also want to consider what style of clothing you are making. I live in Egypt, and have also visited several other Middle Eastern Countries. Tourists wear many styles, but they also get a lot of "looks" from the locals. In much of the Middle East most women will be more comfortable with at minimum short sleeves and covered to knee. Tank tops and shorts (particularly if they are close fitted) are not seen except on tourists. I personally wear long skirts or pants and loose fitting tops. You might think about a calf or full length skirt, this is actually cooler than most shorts or pants for walking around. Loose fitted clothing will also help keep you cool. I wear a lot of cotton and silk in the summer. Using a blend, with a small percentage of polyester, lycra, etc. added to cottons or silks will help to keep the wrinkles down and still breathe. There are several synthetic fabrics out that are advertised to be wicking, many of them knits which won't wrinkle. Try to get fabrics that do not show dirt, as dust is very common. I advise bringing a hat, sunglasses, and sunscreen if you are going to be outside a lot during the day; and bring something you can layer to keep you warm, as many Middle Eastern countries can get cool at night. For example much of Egypt is dessert, and it is possible to occasionally need a jacket or sweater at night.
Linda

Posts: 32 | Registered: 13 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm so pleased to see your reply Linda. Yes I will be going to Egypt and have an afternoon scheduled for shopping in Cairo. Do you happen to live in Cairo, or are you familiar with the city? I came across the Souq Boulaq the website being: http://weekly.ahram.org.eg/2005/736/li1.htm
It sounded like a fun place to visit and buy fabric. Any comments?
I'll have more questions for you Linda. Thanks for replying.
Anya

posted Hide Post
Anya,
I do currently live in Cairo, though I am not that familiar with the city. Being American's and speaking very little Arabic, we do not drive here, but take the cheap taxi's. The traffic is horrible here, with a population of over 10 million. I have been to the Souq Boulaq several times, though I have only been in the fabric area of the Boulaq. This is several blocks, with a multitude of small passageways lined with small shops. The picture in the article you quoted has the street size accurate, however, there are so many vendors and shops on the street that you can often only have clearance to walk single file. It has some great prices, and great fabric. However, almost none of the fabric is labeled, and the stall owner may tell you the fabric you are looking at is whatever you want it to be. You must be able to know the fabrics yourself, or be willing to take the risk. The vendors will also ask for whatever price they think they can get. As a rule of thumb offer to pay half of what is asked and then haggle. You will need Egyptian money, the Egyptian pound or LE runs about 5.5 Le to $1 US. and fabric is sold by the meter. You will also be constantly oportuned from all sides asking you to buy their wares. The only place else I have been that had such a hard sell was in China. Just remember the word La, it means no in arabic, but most of the vendors will speak some English.

There is another much larger market which has items such as jewelry, beads, silver, gold, brass and copper items, rugs, glass, perfumes, etc. (basically most luxury items other than fabric)is the famous Khan Khalili. It is one of the oldest markets in existance, and is just as crowded with small shops and vendors. The same rules apply to haggling. They are in different areas of Cairo, so you could only go to one in an afternoon. When I go to either market I plan on spending most of the day.
Linda

Posts: 32 | Registered: 13 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post