Dress Shop Home Page    livingsoftnw.groupee.net    Discussion List  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Topic Area  Hop To Forums  Sewing Related Things    Sewing machine recommendation
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sewing machine recommendation
 Login/Join

posted
Good day. I was planning to buy a new sewing machine for my grandma because she always sit and stitch everyday, I’m planning to buy a new one as a birthday gift, but when i checked some brands in amazon, aliexpress and this site http://www.elreviews.com/best-sewing-machine-reviews/. There are so many different brands and specs that I found. please give me some suggestions and advice regarding on the best sewing machine for my grandma. Thanks a lot!

Posts: 1 | Location: Bacoor cavite | Registered: 28 October 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It might be a good idea for you to provide a bit of intel on your grandma: what kind of sewing does she do: garments, quilts, embroidery, "art", home dec, etc. and level of skill & experience, maybe including major pieces that she has done: quilts entered in competitions, wedding gowns, suits, etc.

I tend to recommend a "basic" machine doing only straight & zig zag, because that's all I ever use/need. A basic machine of a reputable brand like Bernina, Pfaff, Elna, etc. would be a good choice.

--
Anna

Posts: 107 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: 10 December 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I personally would ask or quietly find out what your Grandmother is interested in. If the machine is fancy and she doesn't feel up to a new learning curve, or is intimidated by the machine then there would be little joy for her. If she is sitting stitching by hand, does she want a machine, or something useful like a standing lamp with magnifier, accessory stand, design holder clip..... Jelly roll of pretty fabric

Helen M
Sth Australia
DS9 Pro
Ultimate Outerwear,
Ultimate Pants.
Add Ons 1 - 14,
Pattern Sets 1044,1046, 1049,1050. & other.
Autumn 2009
Ultimate Lingerie & Loungewear '23

Windows 11 x64 Pro
Canon IX6860

Posts: 77 | Location: Australia | Registered: 09 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hii everyone i also wanted some recommendations to buy a new and the best sewing machine for embroidery i just found this https://thefashioninsight.com/...embroidery-business/

<a href="https://thefashioninsight.com/top-10-best-commercial-embroidery-machine-for-your-embroidery-business/">Fashion Insight</a>

Posts: 1 | Location: USA | Registered: 06 March 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rensell:
Good day. I was planning to buy a new sewing machine for my grandma because she always sit and stitch everyday, I’m planning to buy a new one as a birthday gift, but when i checked some brands in amazon, aliexpress and this site https://wisepick.org/best-sewi...chine-for-beginners/. There are so many different brands and specs that I found. please give me some suggestions and advice regarding on the best sewing machine for my grandma. Thanks a lot!

What's her level? I guess, you should consider whether she worked with a sewing machine in the past or not. If she's an experienced lady, then take her to the shop with you - if possible - so you can test the machine before buying. That's a very personal thing, so a beginner's machine may not suit her needs.
A machine with good tension that sews only a straight stitch and zig zag, and with enough power to sew through several layers of material is preferable to a machine that may have a lot of decorative stitches but is so fussy that you end up fighting threads all the time. It's not fun sewing if you're fighting with your machine all the time.

My aunt got a Kenmore when she wanted to learn. It's a nice machine, easy to use, easy to thread.

Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.

Posts: 3 | Location: Kansas-City | Registered: 03 March 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post