Dress Shop Home Page    livingsoftnw.groupee.net    Discussion List  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Topic Area  Hop To Forums  Sewing Related Things    Replacement for Cool Ruler program
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Replacement for Cool Ruler program
 Login/Join

posted
On Windows XP I used a program called Cool Ruler that worked great with DressShop & MPD.

It made it easy to display modified patterns at 25% & have the ruler at 25%. Calculate the length of the displayed pattern & compare to the printed pattern that I was trying to modify. Wonderful check for changes.

But the free download is no longer available on the Internet and the existing download I have doesn't install on Windows 7.

Is anyone using something similar that they have found to be helpful?

Thank, Vicki

MPD Pro 4.00a, DS 9.09a, Win 7, IE10, HP Deskjet 7000 & Officejet Pro K8600

Posts: 208 | Location: in Texas | Registered: 06 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
<Terry Jerden>
posted
If anyone finds a solution to this, I would sure be interested in knowing it. I used Cool Ruler all the time with DS and MPD. When I got my new laptop, I could not download it again. The link says it's available for free but when you try to download, you get a bunch of other stuff and NO Cool Ruler. It was a great tool.
Terry

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The solution I found was to copy the program software unto a thumb drive from my old PC then copied the software unto my new PC running Windows 7. I copied the software into its own file folder under Documents (not into Programs). After that I clicked on the .app file and was able to open the software and pin it into my task bar. I do remember have to fiddle with it a little bit, but cannot remember exactly what I did. It works great and I've had no problem transferring it from one PC to another.

Since this program is no longer supported, I'm wondering if it's possible to share this file. I know I'm unable to send the files by email since they are executable types, but does anyone know how to get around this, or if we should?

Brenda C. in Millsboro, DE

Posts: 17 | Location: Millsboro, DE | Registered: 08 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I too had difficulty to download in my new PC but was able to take it from the file of the old one and use a flash stick to put it on the new PC. I think that is what I did but can't really remember. Like you all I was concerned when it wouldn't download as it a super facilty.
Marge UK

Posts: 237 | Registered: 06 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Brilliant!!! It worked!!! You've made my day.

It appears to be working beautifully without any problems. If you right click on the executable in the folder where it was copied, you have the option of either pinning it to the taskbar, start menu or creating a shortcut on the desktop. I tried them all & they all seemed to work.

Thanks so much,
Vicki

MPD Pro 4.00a, DS 9.09a, Win 7, IE10, HP Deskjet 7000 & Officejet Pro K8600

Posts: 208 | Location: in Texas | Registered: 06 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I also used to use Cool Ruler. For a long time now I am using Screen Calipers by Iconico.com.
http://www.iconico.com/caliper/
You can download it free and use it. For extra features you can buy it for $29.99. I did pay for the extras because it allows measuring angles (Cool Ruler did not do that). There are videos on the website and directions.
June

Posts: 26 | Registered: 16 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
<Terry Jerden>
posted
It worked! Awesome! I've really missed that little green ruler. Thank you so much for helping us out.
Terry Smiler

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I just downloaded a working non puffed version of Cool ruler from Softpedia - link below.
Remember if you have changed your screen sizing you'll need to fiddle with the settings to get them to match the grids before using.

http://www.softpedia.com/progD...-Download-40393.html

Helen M
Sth Australia
DS9 Pro
Ultimate Outerwear,
Ultimate Pants.
Add Ons 1 - 14,
Pattern Sets 1044,1046, 1049,1050. & other.
Autumn 2009
Ultimate Lingerie & Loungewear '23

Windows 11 x64 Pro
Canon IX6860

Posts: 77 | Location: Australia | Registered: 09 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post