Find
Notify
Tools

sewing machine
 Login/Join

<NoelBlakley>
posted
Hello,

It has become too expensive to have canvas work done in my area - average charge $85/hour. I want to get a sewing machine that can handle trampoline and other heavy work. (I own a regular home sewing machine which is fine for minor stuff.).I recently purchased Reliable Barracuda which appears to be nearly identical to Sailrite LSZ-1. Assembled the heavy crank wheel and tried. It failed in many ways: the belt slips off the wheel, not enough power to go through heavy fabric, the foot does not have much clearance... I returned it.I did some investigation and came across HIGHLEAD GC0618-1-SC. It is about the same price as Sailrite, but appears to be much more of an industrial machine: dramatically better motor, v-belts, clearance under foot, etc. However, it does not have zig-zag stitch.Any comments/suggestions/opinions?

Please help.

I didn't find the right solution from the Internet.

References:-
http://www.dragonfly-trimarans...0905402198c58971aa8b
Business video service

Thanks

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I was running an eBay search on sewing machines that would handle leather - the Singer 328K (1960s? mechanical home machine - but solid metal gears & levers) kept coming up. So did a few other "vintage" sewing machines...

For less than $200, it might be something to buy & try to see how well it handles canvas. I was thinking of some denim projects - but I have some leather on hand for something smaller...

Renee Graham

Renee Graham
Home is where the sewing room is!

Posts: 31 | Location: Fort Bend, Texas | Registered: 06 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It's very hard to buy good sewing machine under $200

Posts: 2 | Registered: 21 May 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NoelBlakley:
Hello,

It has become too expensive to have canvas work done in my area - average charge $85/hour. I want to get a sewing machine that can handle trampoline and other heavy work. (I own a regular home sewing machine which is fine for minor stuff.).I recently purchased Reliable Barracuda which appears to be nearly identical to Sailrite LSZ-1. Assembled the heavy crank wheel and tried. It failed in many ways: the belt slips off the wheel, not enough power to go through heavy fabric, the foot does not have much clearance... I returned it.I did some investigation and came across HIGHLEAD GC0618-1-SC. It is about the same price as Sailrite, but appears to be much more of an industrial machine: dramatically better motor, v-belts, clearance under foot, etc. However, it does not have zig-zag stitch.Any comments/suggestions/opinions?

Please help.

Business video service

Thanks

Hi, Noel!

For a heavy duty sewing Sailrite must be the best option: my husband uses LSZ-1 to fix his camping gear. It's also about 1000$, since most commercial machines are in the $4000+ range these days, so you'd really be spending a lot for one - it might be the best option. Unless you're going to work with thick leather.

There are a whole bunch of different commercial machines for different purposes. Some have what is referred to as a "walking foot", that is for heavy materials like canvas and vinyl fabrics. Also, good for sewing upholstery type leathers.
But keep in mind, that you can get a walking foot attachment (feeds from both top and bottom) for around $20 for many models.

If you are mostly going to sew nylon fabrics, I would think a good home sewing machine for clothes (here's the list, and Juki's that are mentioned here might be the best options for you) would do nicely. Since they're made for home based tailors, they should handle this. It would also cost way, way less.

I wouldn't recommend Singer 4452, though. It's very cheap made.

--call me Ivy

Posts: 5 | Location: Seattle | Registered: 26 June 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ivy_fane:
quote:
Originally posted by NoelBlakley:
Hello,

It has become too expensive to have canvas work done in my area - average charge $85/hour. I want to get a https://bestsewingmachineforbe...chines-for-quilting/ sewing machine that can handle trampoline and other heavy work. (I own a regular home sewing machine which is fine for minor stuff.).I recently purchased Reliable Barracuda which appears to be nearly identical to Sailrite LSZ-1. Assembled the heavy crank wheel and tried. It failed in many ways: the belt slips off the wheel, not enough power to go through heavy fabric, the foot does not have much clearance... I returned it.I did some investigation and came across HIGHLEAD GC0618-1-SC. It is about the same price as Sailrite, but appears to be much more of an industrial machine: dramatically better motor, v-belts, clearance under foot, etc. However, it does not have zig-zag stitch.Any comments/suggestions/opinions?

Please help.

Business video service

Thanks

Hi, Noel!

For a heavy duty sewing Sailrite must be the best option: my husband uses LSZ-1 to fix his camping gear. It's also about 1000$, since most commercial machines are in the $4000+ range these days, so you'd really be spending a lot for one - it might be the best option. Unless you're going to work with thick leather.

There are a whole bunch of different commercial machines for different purposes. Some have what is referred to as a "walking foot", that is for heavy materials like canvas and vinyl fabrics. Also, good for sewing upholstery type leathers.
But keep in mind, that you can get a walking foot attachment (feeds from both top and bottom) for around $20 for many models.

If you are mostly going to sew nylon fabrics, I would think a good home sewing machine for clothes (here's the list, and Juki's that are mentioned here might be the best options for you) would do nicely. Since they're made for home based tailors, they should handle this. It would also cost way, way less.

I wouldn't recommend Singer 4452, though. It's very cheap made.

Posts: 2 | Registered: 20 August 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post