Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Coverlock machine
 Login/Join

posted
I recently bought a coverlock machine for doing my T'shirts.Tried it out today and its absolutely great!wonder why i never got one sooner GGG.Makes the job so much easier.Smiler

Posts: 1535 | Location: Ontario. Canada | Registered: 05 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hi Freda,
I know it will get a lot of use. Mine does. Good luck with your new machine.
Bobbieann

Barbara

Posts: 228 | Location: Somewhere, Arkansas | Registered: 06 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bobbieann:
Hi Freda,
I know it will get a lot of use. Mine does. Good luck with your new machine.
Bobbieann
Thanks bobbie,Im going to do some T'shirts for summer now,all of my store bought ones look like garbage,thats where they'll end up GGG.I bought the Elna machine it looked&workes good, and even has a piece that you can remove for doing cuffs on.Ive cut out one t'shirt already and ready to tackle it soon.

Posts: 1535 | Location: Ontario. Canada | Registered: 05 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I cant believe how long it took me to finally break down and say - yea that would be useful enough to spend the money.Now I cant believe I waited so long. I have the Janome version - great dealer with good local service was the key to my brand choice.

patrns4u@aol.com

Posts: 3511 | Location: Henderson, Nevada | Registered: 02 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kaaren Hoback:
I cant believe how long it took me to finally break down and say - yea that would be useful enough to spend the money.Now I cant believe I waited so long. I have the Janome version - great dealer with good local service was the key to my brand choice.
I hear you on that note!any good tips for necklines with the coverlock machine?appreciate the info please. Smiler

posted Hide Post
Hand turn the wheel forward for the first couple stitches to lock the tension on. leave a logn enough trhead tail to tie off when done and when you come around the the end over stitch 2 stiches, hand turn the wheel back 2-3 stitches to release tension and leave a long thread tail- tie off and fray check is a good thing.

patrns4u@aol.com

Posts: 3511 | Location: Henderson, Nevada | Registered: 02 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally Posted by Llantrisant
I hear you on that note!any good tips for necklines with the coverlock machine?appreciate the info please.

The following is a great video on Neckline Binding. She starts off applying it with a regular sewing machine then finishes with her serger.

http://www.threadsmagazine.com...ne-binding-for-knits

Hope This Helps,
Rena

Posts: 132 | Registered: 07 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Forgot to mention that Debbie Cook has some wonderful information on her blog. Including how to end a coverstitch.

http://stitchesandseams.blogsp...end-coverstitch.html

Rena

Posts: 132 | Registered: 07 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thank you for the tips& blog site,I forgot about that threads video which i did use a long time ago, when making T'shirts.I yet have to play with my coverlock, & learn how to change needle postions.Thanks again folks good info here. Smiler

posted Hide Post
One of the best tips I ever got was to use your digital camera to take a photo of the settings along with a bit of fabric it was set for. I can easily return to stretch silk charm, or interlock using the photos as a guide. I now do the same for narrow rolled hem settings on my serger as I do a lot of them on various weights of silk.

patrns4u@aol.com

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kaaren Hoback:
One of the best tips I ever got was to use your digital camera to take a photo of the settings along with a bit of fabric it was set for. I can easily return to stretch silk charm, or interlock using the photos as a guide. I now do the same for narrow rolled hem settings on my serger as I do a lot of them on various weights of silk.
What a great idea thank you for that tip.
I have another question about fabrics,stretch mainly ive seen so many lovely fabrics at our local shop here,but the only colours in stretch knits are plain!I am looking for some floral print knits.Thanks again.

posted Hide Post
Freda,
Delighted for you. It is a so useful machine. Apart from the obvious which everyone has contributed to it is great for running up slopers.Set the machine to chainstitch and sew up your trial garment. It is so easy to undo the stitching. I love mine.
I have a Babylock
Peggy

Posts: 237 | Registered: 06 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well so far ive made 2 T'shirts and manged to get 1 panty out of the leftover knit,the colour is terquiose, doesn't really matter since modern lingerie, is all the rage in many colours now days.Managing my coverlock quite well now,tying off ends once i pull thru the threads& cut them from the front,I use my thin tool to put thru the loop, make a knot and tighten it, till its formed around the tool so its close.Dab of seam sealant.Can't wait to buy more knit fabric now GGGG.

posted Hide Post
Ladies,

I am seriously considering to buy a coverlock machine, too. I think the cost, extra space and accessories needed for it may be worth, given the time saving and better fisishing results I may get. After reading this topic's messages I'm almost convinced.

This is a question for those of you who know this type of machine. What should I take into account for my choose at the shop? Is there any good or any bad model or trademark? Any special feature not to miss?

All opinions are wellcome!!

Dolors

Posts: 55 | Location: Lleida (Spain) | Registered: 21 November 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Get the "best" you can afford, from a knowledgeable local dealer you know who has repair "in house", and can give instruction.

I am fortunate to have dealers from every major maker nearby. I selected a Janome and the contest was between BabyLock and Janome at the end. The in person Trial on fabrics I actually Use was the deciding test.

The only machine I ever bought that I did not test drive was a commercial blind hemmer and I held my breadth for a while over that but it did work out Ok.

Kaaren

patrns4u@aol.com