Dress Shop Home Page    livingsoftnw.groupee.net    Discussion List  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Topic Area  Hop To Forums  Sewing Related Things    New- Eco friendly bamboo fabrics and yarns
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New- Eco friendly bamboo fabrics and yarns
 Login/Join

posted
You may have been reading about these new fabrics made from super fast and easy growing bamboo and the claims of how soft and versatile it is.

Lets see - The press claims quickly renewable, wickable, soft, incredible hand,( a cross between silk and mink!-my description) sounds too good to be true.

I decided to source some for blouses and purchased 2 yards from Bamboo Textile Store which arrived in a timely fashion from Long Island City, New York by Fed Exp. ground. Fabric is 68 yes 6 8 inches wide, very lightweight. Stretch is H58% on the off white I ordered. (I am using 24% for my stretch allowance on my not too snug shells and am using 0 for Vertical)

I plan a sleeveless shell and a long sleeve top from the light weight knit.

The fabric is so very,very soft and claims include that it's cool in summer and warm in winter. If It makes up half as nice as I think it will, it will deserve all the positive press it's getting.

Yarns are also available for knitting and crochet and more colors are being added to the simple "earthy" range currently available.

Have you tried any yet? If so post about your results.

Kaaren

patrns4u@aol.com

Posts: 3511 | Location: Henderson, Nevada | Registered: 02 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have bamboo sheet and love them. It is so soft!! I do have some material, but was using it to make diapers for my gd. It really soaks up water (urine) and keeps the smell down.

Posts: 107 | Registered: 06 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I saw and tried on a mock neck pullover made from bamboo knit while at the mall yesterday, the fiber was luscious feeling next to the skin, kind of like the nicer fine modal knits. I didn't purchase though as the price tag was a bit much I thought at $45.00. Since the yardage is so wide and only $10 a yd, I believe I'll opt for sewing a couple of tops instead.

Ann in NC

quote:
new fabrics made from super fast and easy growing bamboo and the claims of how soft and versatile it is.

Posts: 12 | Location: Wilmington, NC | Registered: 07 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post