Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

question on comfort shell
 Login/Join

posted
Hello! I am trying to copy a blouse I saw in linen. I am looking at the comfort shirt pattern as opposed to the comfort shell. The shirt pattern seems roomier, what I'm looking for for the flowy linen. But the pattern seems identical in size to the one called comfort knit shirt, and in fact is called 'snit shirt' when it loads, under the manikin. Is there in fact a difference? Thank you!!

Posts: 38 | Registered: 09 March 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
At last I have time to look more closely at your question.

The word "Comfort" in a pattern indicates that it is a relaxed fix, so you might find the same amount of ease any pattern with this level of fit.

The difference between the Comfort Shell and the Comfort Shirt is in the style. The shell has no closure, but has a side bust dart. You can use the Options to change this. In other words, start with either one and make it what you want.

If you happen to own the Fit Customizer under Design Tools you can play with the ease.

The only way to know how a particular fit level works for you is to make something. If your fabric is special, try it in a similar weight inexpensive fabric. You don't even have to put in sleeves to test the fit level.

In looking closely at the difference between the Comfort Shirt and the Comfort Knit Shirt, I find that both come up with the name Comfort Knit Shirt, but seem to both be the Comfort Shirt. I say that because patterns for knits are cut slightly closer, to take into consideration the stretch of the fabric. In fact the Fit Customizer gives this a Comfort level fit. There are no patterns that I can see today for stretch fabrics.

Let me know if you have other questions.

Carolyn Brown
DS Educator
MPD Pro
DS Pro

Posts: 234 | Registered: 08 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thank you so much! I got it! You can make the shell and the shirt the same, you can make the comfort shirt and the comfort knit shirt the same, if you have the Fit Customizer, which I do, or by adding or subtracting a dart or a closure.The trick with ease is to make something and see how it goes.

I think I had already surmised this from making things over the years, and that's why I asked the question, to confirm it.

Thank you!

Posts: 38 | Registered: 09 March 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post