Dress Shop Home Page    livingsoftnw.groupee.net    Discussion List  Hop To Forum Categories  Board FAQ and Issues  Hop To Forums  FAQ's    Notifications and email
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Notifications and email
 Login/Join

Board Administrator
posted
Hi,

Just a note about the Notifications. Early on there was much confusion about Notifications on this list. Rightfully so, 'cause it's hard to discribe it's use. Very powerful, but needs a FAQ to help out. As a result, I shut off the individual subscription for emails until I can get this FAQ written. It's my second things after getting everyone logged in correctly.

You WILL be able to subscribe to just exactly the limited things you want (Dress Shop only or Doll Shop only or both or none). Expect the new FAQ in the next couple days. Until then, I felt it was better to limit what we could do rather then have a lot of clean up later. For the moment, All Forums is all you have. That will change soon Smiler

Greg Hightower

Board Administrator, Dress Shop App

Posts: 1868 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: 01 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Greg -
Since many of had to sign up twice to get in, how do we delete the account that will not let us get in???
And this account is not my usual name and addy etc. but it works!

Posts: 34 | Registered: 06 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Board Administrator
posted Hide Post
Hang on to this for a couple days. I hope to be able to fix the original login. If not, we can delete the bad one and then you can choose to re-create it and use it, or just use the second one you created. I'll be glad to help in either case.

Posts: 1868 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: 01 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
<Arizona Kathy>
posted
I haven't a clue where this post will end up. But... is there a way to have an option to include part of the post we're responding to.

And example, I "think" you responded to my question about what Graemlin Conversations were... but I'm not sure as there was nothing in the post to tag it to a specific post.

I had put my xanax bottle away earlier (that's a joke) but now my frustration level is rapidly growing.

It is "seeming" more and more that to follow conversations, one will have to actually access the web site.

I realize we're all adjusting, but for those of us with dial up and limited time, it just about shuts us out of the information loop.

Thanks for your time

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Board Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Arizona Kathy:
[SNIP]
And example, I "think" you responded to my question about what Graemlin Conversations were... but I'm not sure as there was nothing in the post to tag it to a specific post.

I had put my xanax bottle away earlier (that's a joke) but now my frustration level is rapidly growing.

It is "seeming" more and more that to follow conversations, one will have to actually access the web site.

I realize we're all adjusting, but for those of us with dial up and limited time, it just about shuts us out of the information loop.

Thanks for your time

On the board, you can reply with a quoted copy of the previous post using the little icon at the bottom right of the post that is a folder with the list " symbol. You will get the block of text in a
quote:
and
tag. You can delete (as I did leaving a SNIP) what you don't want. This will show up as the black lines you see in this message.

Board Administrator
posted Hide Post
Hi,

I've turned on the "Notify" tab in the Forums again. I'm building a FAQ for it and need it turned on so I can do screen shots.

Basically, what ever level you are at when you press the Notify tab, will be the level of emails you will receive. So if you are at the "Board FAQ and Issues" when you press it, you will only get emails from this Forum. If you are at the "FAQ Coming" topic, then you only get emails about this thread. As you can tell it's hard to describe and I'm hoping my FAQ will do a better job.

Coming soon...

posted Hide Post
Hi Greg

Hope you can put a "plain English" help file together for reading/responding to emails/digests off line. I am on slow dial up and I don't want to tie up my phone line all the time. ("almost" broadband is not cheap here !!)

Thanks
Anne

Posts: 7 | Location: Auckland, New Zealand | Registered: 05 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well, I did get on tonight!!! But I'm one confused great grandma.... How will I know if my post has been ansswered? It seems like there are so many places to read and post...I'm quite confused. Should I be keeping a notebook with notations of my subject and where I was when I replied or posted?

I went into Dress SHop and saw that there were 45 topics and 206 posts. Is there a way to bypass the ones I have read to get to the new ones?

Sorry to be so dense, but I am having a little
trouble navigating.

Hi...again... just discovered the edit button. How nice, as I was able to correct a word...grin.

Posts: 39 | Registered: 05 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hi Diane

If you want to get the messages as email (as close to the old system as possible) click that little Go button at the top left, then My Space, then Permissions. Down a ways under Posting you can pick Daily or Weekly Digests or Immediate Notification. The subject lines will let you know, and a bit of the message is quoted.

Kathy Warner
trying to decide whether to experiment with pockets in these one-seam pants
I love pockets!

Posts: 81 | Registered: 06 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ack!! Diane!! It's not Permissions, it's Preferences.

OOOOOps.

Posts: 81 | Registered: 06 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Kathy Warner
trying to decide whether to experiment with pockets in these one-seam pants
I love pockets![/QUOTE]

Go for your welt pockets...that would look nice with the one-seam pants.

Posts: 39 | Registered: 05 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
For now I have set mine to send me a copy via email. I'm going to see how that works. I think I will like it because I will be able to see at any time if there are posts that interest me.

The newest posts are flagged in the forums, so that is another way to bypass some of it.

The jury is still out for me. We have no choice, so I will gradually learn how to use this. I am having to learn a different one for another list I am on. Same concept, different look.

Posts: 190 | Registered: 05 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Diane in WA:
How will I know if my post has been ansswered?

If you only want to track a few topics or watch for a specific reply, click the "Notify" button at the top of the topic header. Or within the reply window click the "Notifications" flag.

The best way to start and keep up may be to get messages as individual email.
I went to Go / Notifications under Forums click Edit
Check off "Immediate Notification" and ALSO check off "Include replies"

quote:
It seems like there are so many places to read and post...I'm quite confused. Should I be keeping a notebook with notations of my subject and where I was when I replied or posted?

That's the thing I miss, - a copy of my post in my Sent Mail. But go to your Profile and click "View Forum Posts by xxx" which will show you all the messages you posted.

quote:
I went into Dress SHop and saw that there were 45 topics and 206 posts. Is there a way to bypass the ones I have read to get to the new ones?

Click on the Find button at the topic header and choose "New since your last Visit"
I'm still trying to work out if the icons change to read/unread like they do on sewingworld.com

Tessa

Tessa
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
DS Deluxe
v6.13 on desktop
v6.09 on laptop

Posts: 141 | Location: Edmonton, Canada | Registered: 06 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Kathy Warner:
Hi Diane

If you want to get the messages as email (as close to the old system as possible) click that little Go button at the top left, then My Space, then Permissions. Down a ways under Posting you can pick Daily or Weekly Digests or Immediate Notification. The subject lines will let you know, and a bit of the message is quoted.

Kathy Warner

All I get when I try this is "Page Not Available" Yes, I am logged in. Doesn't seem to matter which item under "My Space" I choose, the result is the same.

Victoria L. Sullivan

Posts: 3 | Registered: 07 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I get the digest, but have noticed there is a list that shows that there are replies to the posts, but they do not come in the digest. Is there something missing in the settings?

I WILL win the stash battle even if it means hocking the cats!

Posts: 10 | Location: Far West | Registered: 07 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post