Dress Shop Home Page    livingsoftnw.groupee.net    Discussion List  Hop To Forum Categories  Board FAQ and Issues  Hop To Forums  FAQ's    Setting up a new computer
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Setting up a new computer
 Login/Join

posted
I am getting ready to set up a new computer. My current one did not crash (thankfully) but needs updating in terms of speed, etc. I know I need to be sure to save my measurements. How about my patterns? Beyond saving the personal items, is it best to simply start over on the new computer and totally reload Dress Shop 6, Doll Shop, Home Dec and Hat Shop? I will be using data transfer software that is capable of transferring programs. That's why I'm wondering if I should just transfer my DS products or would be better off downloading everything fresh.

Thank you!
Linda in VA

Posts: 86 | Registered: 06 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Don’t “transfer” your Livingsoft programs as such from one computer to the other unless it is the EXE file to install from scratch. The preferable method would be to download the freshest FULL BUILD install from http://www.livingsoftnw.com. Whichever method you use, these files should be copied from the yellow Dress Shop folder on your old computer and placed into C:\Program Files\Livingsoft\ in the corresponding yellow Dress Shop folder:

MyDSActivations.cfg
MyDSMeasurements.txt
MyDSSettings.txt

If you have files saved in the MyPatterns yellow folder on your old computer, copy the files with the file extension PAT (for pattern) and paste them into the MyPatterns folder in your new installation.

If you install the Dress Shop full build you’ll get the Doll program. If you copy your codes file into the new install of DS, open the program and check to see if it shows up on the opening page. It should.

HomeDec_1_01_Download_master.exe is 18.7MB
HomeDec_1_02_Update.exe is 13.4 MB
The current build is 1.02 but check to see if the master was changed to include the 1.02 update so you might only need download one file instead of two. The file you want to copy from your other computer and place in the installed HomeDec folder on your new computer is hddata.txt.

HatShop_download_master.exe is 13.1 MB.
Copy the dsdata.txt file in the Hat Shop folder on your old computer, paste it into the Hat Shop folder on your new computer.

Note that Hat Shop also requires you to enable Java and use Internet Explorer page setup as well as Hat Shop page setup for printing. Hat Shop does not support metric settings. Should you see a totally black screen when you try to print a pattern, it has to do with your printer and Java. If you encounter this, try switching the Java program you use, i.e., Sun Microsystems or Microsoft VM (Virtual Machine), under IE, Tools, Advanced, scroll down to Java. Enable either the Java (Sun) or Microsoft VM (Virtual Machine) but not both..

DS Pro & Doll Deluxe Fashion Designer Suite, Hats 1.1, Home Dec 1.02

Posts: 221 | Registered: 08 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Diane, thank you so much for the helpful information. I figured I should download a fresh copy of the programs but didn't know about the specific files I should be sure to save from my current computer. I appreciate your help.

Linda in VA

Posts: 86 | Registered: 06 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post