Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Update 8.03a
 Login/Join

posted
I just downloaded and installed the 8.03a update for my Doll Shop Deluxe. I'm now drafting a new pattern, and when I load a pattern to start, I get a pop-up box that says, "Use reduced seam allowance for stretch knit pattern?" How can I keep this message from popping up each and every time I load a pattern? It would make more sense if it popped up when in the fitting tool and a knit was chosen. I appreciate the effort to give a heads up when a reduced seam allowance might be appropriate, but it's annoying when it asks every time I load a pattern.

Also, there is a section of 2010 patterns that was included in the update, but it won't allow me to use them. Were they meant to be part of the update, or were they meant to be part of a new group of patterns to be purchased?

Thanks!

Karen in Maine

Posts: 63 | Registered: 18 November 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The red tips line advises folks that the seam allowance is different from their normal defaults. Which will save folks a lot of heartache on their adult sized clothing if they are unaware of it. The tip appears on patterns that are designed With a Knit Factor designed in the named pattern.

The Summer 2010 collection is available to purchase. All new pattern colelctions are contained in upgrades or updates the choice to purchase and activate or not is yours.

Kaaren

patrns4u@aol.com

Posts: 3511 | Location: Henderson, Nevada | Registered: 02 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
So every single pattern has a knit factor built in? I opened coats and capes, and they also have that message. It's just an extra click of the mouse every time I load a pattern. Not a biggie, but it's annoying. Is there a way to disable that message?

Thanks,
Karen in Maine

posted Hide Post
I forgot to ask, what's a "red tips line?" The message that pops up has no red in it, and the seam allowances show as the default 1/4" until you accept the smaller seam allowance. If you cancel, you get to keep the default 1/4" allowance.

Karen in Maine

posted Hide Post
theres no way to disable the message but it does not appear in anything that doesnt have a knit factor built in my program for adult patterns but, does for doll patterns.

The tip flag is based on the fact it needs a reduced seam allowances for dolls and we are using a standard tip. Doll patterns generally NEED smaller seam allowances.

default seam allowances for most of our users is set to 5/8th ( 0.625) inches under File>settings.The majority of our users use the program to make clothing for people.

You can change your seam allowance settings to 0.25 ( or 3/8ths 0.375) under File Settings- you will still get the alert for seam allowance message. You just wont have to change it.

The reason as stated is not correct but we are using a standard "stop sign" versus a custom "stop sign" for dolls.

Kaaren

patrns4u@aol.com

Posts: 3511 | Location: Henderson, Nevada | Registered: 02 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Is there a way for it to be programmed so that Doll Shop tips mimic the adult patterns? Seems counter-productive to have a seam allowance narrowed for everything, when it would make more sense to ask for a narrowed allowance when desired. I guess I'm just frustrated because it's one more step that needs to be taken that didn't have to be taken before. I'll have to see if the other changes in 8.03a are necessary for me, and just reinstall the older version if there's nothing that applies to what I do.

My seam allowance is set for 1/4" and has been since I was able to set it as default. That was done several versions ago, and was much appreciated :-)

Karen in Maine.... who loves the program, but gets upset when changes make life more difficult rather than making it easier :-/

Board Administrator
posted Hide Post
The tip about smaller than standard seam allowances was intended to advise Dress Shop users that the pattern being loaded was a stretch knit design (with seam allowances smaller than 5/8"). The tip was to come up only if that user had set their own preference for seam allowances, advising them that they might want to vary their normal preference in this case.

Makers of doll patterns, however, always get smaller seam allowances. The new test, meant to only come up for swim suits and other stretch patterns, is also being triggered by the doll smaller seam allowance that doll patterns get. That was an error and has been corrected for the next Dress Shop update. Thank you for pointint it out and we are sorry that we did not test the stretch knit changes on doll patterns sooner.

Board Administrator, Dress Shop App

Posts: 1868 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: 01 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thank you so much! I appreciate your efforts in correcting this. I continue to love this program, as it has saved me countless hours of pattern drafting (not to mention yards of paper towels and fabric) over the years I've owned it. I'm retired, and sew doll clothing to help make ends meet. Doll Shop Deluxe has been a real help to me.

Thanks again!
Best regards,
Karen in Maine