Dress Shop Home Page    livingsoftnw.groupee.net    Discussion List  Hop To Forum Categories  Doll Shop  Hop To Forums  Doll Shop Topics    Where Can I Find the Measurement Wizard?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Where Can I Find the Measurement Wizard?
 Login/Join

posted
I would love to be able to put in fewer measurements to get a quicker pattern that I can tweak on my own.... Where do I find the Wizard??

Thanks!

Karen

Posts: 63 | Registered: 18 November 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hi

I am not at the computer with MPD on it but the wizard is either in the measurements area where you should have your chart OR I believe in under help.

Posts: 147 | Registered: 06 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Size

patrns4u@aol.com

Posts: 3511 | Location: Henderson, Nevada | Registered: 02 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm not seeing it anywhere in size. I've checked in Enter/Change and in the Doll Size list.... nothing that says Wizard of any kind. Can you give me more information about its specific location?

Thanks!

Karen in Maine

posted Hide Post
The measurement wizard is on the Dress Shop family portion of the program before entering doll measurements. I have never tested the wizard with doll sized charts only people kids/toddlers/adults sized charts.

Kaaren

patrns4u@aol.com

Posts: 3511 | Location: Henderson, Nevada | Registered: 02 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
O geez I think I just figured out the issue- you are running Doll Shop 4.xx something aren't you?(see help about for version number)

Doll Shop is also offered within the Dress Shop family program and the wizard was added in an update back some years ago in the the DS 5 or DS 6 product line. (DS is now up to version 6.19).

It is not available to the DS version 4 products.

Kaaren

patrns4u@aol.com

posted Hide Post
It is not in the update you have entered.it was created in later versions of the program.

Kaaren

patrns4u@aol.com

Board Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
I'm not seeing it anywhere in size. I've checked in Enter/Change and in the Doll Size list.... nothing that says Wizard of any kind. Can you give me more information about its specific location?

Doll Shop is for doing doll clothing. It is not intended to support people. For people clothes, you need to purchase Dress Shop. If you have both, they are integrated, one program that does both functions.

But, Doll Shop does not do people. Sorry...

Board Administrator, Dress Shop App

Posts: 1868 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: 01 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm not trying to do people.... I just wanted to be able to do dolls by putting in fewer measurements than the ones in the program.... it's difficult to measure accurately when doing a doll that's only 8 inches tall. If I only had to do a few measurements, I might get a pattern that didn't look so weird when I loaded it, lol. But I'll go with the scaling if the Wizard isn't available to me. I have Version 5.33 when I look in "help" for the version... copyright 200-2006. When I've looked in the folders, there is a Measurement Wizard file... and I can see what it should look like... I just can't access it when I'm actually in the program. Oh, well. If I can't use it, I can't use it.

Karen in Maine

posted Hide Post
It seems to me that being able to put in just a few measurements is of more help to doll seamstresses than it would be for people seamstresses. Is there a reason why that option isn't available to dolls? I have no interest in using the program for people. I sew for dolls... lots of different dolls. If I could enter just 7 or 8 measurements, instead of that long list, it would be very helpful. Measuring teensy wrists and ankles, and trying to get the many measurements accurate when dealing with tiny dolls... my smallest is 6 inches tall.... is extremely difficult, and it skews the patterns. If the wizard could be used, it would eliminate a lot of headaches.

Karen in Maine

Board Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
It seems to me that being able to put in just a few measurements is of more help to doll seamstresses than it would be for people seamstresses. Is there a reason why that option isn't available to dolls? I have no interest in using the program for people. I sew for dolls... lots of different dolls. If I could enter just 7 or 8 measurements, instead of that long list, it would be very helpful. Measuring teensy wrists and ankles, and trying to get the many measurements accurate when dealing with tiny dolls... my smallest is 6 inches tall.... is extremely difficult, and it skews the patterns. If the wizard could be used, it would eliminate a lot of headaches.

There are four reasons why a measurement wizard for dolls just is not practical:

1. Measurement precision is far more critical in doll clothing that people clothing. A measurement that is 1/4" off actuals for a person will still provide clothing that is wearable. For someone that is 10" tall, a quarter inch off can break a pattern totally.

2. People need their clothing to be loose enough to move. Some effective ease, the consequence of wizard estimates, provides that room. For a doll, that does not move, such ease looks like a poor fit.

3. Doll body type variations are much greater than people variations. Doll Shop currently includes measurements for both hard body and soft body dolls that range in height from 6" to 48". In people terms that would equate to bodies that range from 5' to 40' tall. That is a huge range that just is not practical to support.

4. There just were not enough people asking for it. Livingsoft development work is spent where the most customers are asking for something. Customer preferences and requests drive development and the dolls just do not have enough enthusiasts.

There are several different ways to get doll measurements. When other doll enthusiasts were doing the measurements currently included in Doll Shop Deluxe, they used three approaches:

1. Tape measure and slopers. Tedious, but workable.

2. Take an existing set and modify it. There are many web sites online that talk about sewing patterns for dolls and which pattern from one type can work for some other model. If you have a doll that has a similar height and body style to some other doll that is already in Doll Shop, you can work from those measurements, altering the few you need to and saving the set.

3. Scaling a set. Again, there are sites on the Internet that advise doll clothing makers about scaling a pattern. There are 18" dolls that have nearly the exact same body structure and shape as smaller dolls. If you take the measurement set of the smaller doll, scale every size up to the larger height, most of it can work.

These methods were used by those that provided the initial doll measurements. Unfortunately, there have been no measurement sets submitted by any doll owner in the past 5 years. So, the list has not been added to. You could see if other Doll Shop owners might share, perhaps.

Board Administrator, Dress Shop App

Posts: 1868 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: 01 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post