Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Error Message
 Login/Join

posted
I have a recurring problem. Up until now I've been using the program with no problem, but now when I've left the screen for a while, and then come back to change or save a pattern, I get an error message "Project 1 has stopped working." I have to close the program, losing any work not saved prior to the error message. Annoying! What am I doing that could cause this?

Thank you
Karen in Maine

Posts: 63 | Registered: 18 November 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Board Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
I have a recurring problem. Up until now I've been using the program with no problem, but now when I've left the screen for a while, and then come back to change or save a pattern, I get an error message "Project 1 has stopped working." I have to close the program, losing any work not saved prior to the error message. Annoying! What am I doing that could cause this?

Let me start by saying that I don't know. It depends on your version of Windows (WinXP? Vista? Win7), your security software, your power conservation settings, and possibly your screen saver. To do a test of any of these, you would have to have a good guess about how long your system needs to be left idle before this happens. 5 minutes? 30 minutes? An hour? If you know how long, then you can do a test and find out what is really the cause.

1. Screen saver. I have software I use regularly that conflicts with my screen saver. You could try disabling the screen saver and see if that helps. With WinXP, you do that by right clicked on the desktop, select properties from the menu there, click the Screen Saver tab, and use the drop list to select "None".

2. Power conservation settings. Some computers are set to turn off hardware selectively when it is not being used. Screen, hard drive, not sure what else. This is mostly done with laptops and how to shut that off varies from one to another. Check the icons on your task bar near where the date shows. I have no idea why Dress Shop or Doll Deluxe would object to the hard drive suddenly not being on, but if we knew that was the case, we might be able to do something.

3. Security software. I have no idea what settings there would kick in after an idle period, but there might be some. Again, if you can find such settings, see if you can extend the time or shut that feature off while you run a test.

All I can think of to try. Anyone else?

Board Administrator, Dress Shop App

Posts: 1868 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: 01 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the suggestions. I'm using Vista, but I've been using it ever since I got this computer, and have been using Doll Shop with no problems. There is nothing that has changed in the past week that this has been happening with the exception that perhaps a Windows Update could have moused something up? It doesn't mean that I can't use the program, just that I can't leave it running while I go off to try the pattern out on my doll before I save it. At worst, it's an inconvenience. I'll just have to exit out, do the trial, come back tweak the pattern, and repeat.

I know I used to leave the program open for an extended period of time with no problems, so it's really got me baffled. It's pretty likely it's a conflict of some kind in Windows, but trying to find out what it is might be difficult. If anyone else has had this problem and has been able to solve it, I hope they'll read this and give me the "fix."

Thanks again. I will take your suggestions and see if I can stumble upon the solution :-)

Karen

posted Hide Post
I too have been getting this error. I am unable to save any measurements. I sent in a problem report 2X and have heard from Kaaren saying she has sent this onto the teckies. I installed MP2.5 on my other computer running xp (this one runs vista) different security software etc and I am getting the same error. I dont even have to leave my program running. This has been happening since I got the new update only, and yes I followed all protocol. I have not been able to use the program since the update.

Jacqui

Posts: 107 | Registered: 06 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Board Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
I too have been getting this error. I am unable to save any measurements. I sent in a problem report 2X and have heard from Kaaren saying she has sent this onto the teckies. I installed MP2.5 on my other computer running xp (this one runs vista) different security software etc and I am getting the same error. I dont even have to leave my program running. This has been happening since I got the new update only, and yes I followed all protocol. I have not been able to use the program since the update.

These are NOT the same error. The message just means that the program terminated. In Jacuqui's case, it happens when she saves. In Karen's case, it happens when she leaves the program running over time. The causes are not likely to be the same or related.

Posts: 1868 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: 01 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I would like to use my credits and I haven't been able to get into the discussion. I get the email. I want to know if I can use my credits for Patterns for men & complete pants designer. I've tried to get in, but I need to disable my cookies, I tried & keep getting invalid. Thanks for any help.
Sarah Trigg

Posts: 11 | Registered: 06 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Board Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
I would like to use my credits and I haven't been able to get into the discussion. I get the email. I want to know if I can use my credits for Patterns for men & complete pants designer.

Hi Sarah. I realize you must have replied to a Doll Shop post to get your note on the forum, so forgive me if guess anything wrong here. This sounds like an MPD question and I am assuming you are referring to pattern credits here, rather than an accounting credit for a return or some such.

Pattern credits are not spendable for product purchases generally. But, I'll check your account and see if I can turn off pattern credits and get you a discount coupon code that would let you do what it sounds like you are trying to do.

I'll do my best and will contact you off the forum....

posted Hide Post
For some unknown reason the error message has stopped popping up, and the program is working just fine! Who knows what little poltergeist was making mischief in my computer.... but it seems to be gone so all is well :-)