Dress Shop Home Page    livingsoftnw.groupee.net    Discussion List  Hop To Forum Categories  Doll Shop  Hop To Forums  Doll Shop Topics    Designing a Yoke
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Designing a Yoke
 Login/Join

posted
I'm having a problem trying to design a pattern for a yoked blouse or dress. Why does the program not allow me to have the front and back yoke lengths equal? I say I want an underarm yoke in the front and it appears. Then I click on the underarm yoke option for the back, and it also appears, but the front yoke has now been lengthened, with a corresponding shortening of the bottom of the front pattern. If I printed out the pattern as it now appears, the yoke seams would not meet at the side seams of the blouse or dress.

The only way I can solve the problem is to put in the option for the front, print it out, and then select it for the back and print that pattern piece out. I can't save the pattern so that the front and back yokes are equal in length.

Also, is there a way for me to save the ease adjustments for bust, waist, and back... or do I have to enter those values in each time I use the program? I have Doll Shop, but also have Essential Patterns for Girls.

Thanks for any help!

Karen in Maine

Posts: 63 | Registered: 18 November 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I just answered my own question. Or at least solved the problem. I didn't notice that I could choose the yoke depth. If that option is left on zero, I have the problem. If I set a definite depth for the yoke, then I have no problem. I still wonder why the program would not allow both yokes to be the same if that option wasn't chosen, but all's well that ends well :-)

Is there a way to access the Yoke Tool from Doll Shop or Essential Patterns for Girls? I'd love to be able to vary the shapes as shown in the Help section, but I don't see the tool anywhere.

Thanks again.

Karen in Maine

Posts: 63 | Registered: 18 November 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hi Virginia

If a tight upper leg is the problem you are having, try slitting the upper leg vertically and see if that gives you the room and comfort you need to move and sit.

If yes, then measure the space that is created and add that to the thigh. I would add the same amount to the width at the bottom for a nice straight leg pant.

k

Posts: 203 | Location: mailto:kaydavid@verizon.net | Registered: 05 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hi Kay
I'm not sure why the post is from Doll Shop - but anyway. Here's what I discovered...I purchased the MPD Pant Collection and compaired the DS Slim vs MPD Slim - the upper thigh doesn't draft the same - less ease or something. So...I will make a Slim Pant from MPD and see what happens.
I wore my lower waisted jeans today - and I really like them. I meant for them to be lower rather than fit at the waist Smiler. I'm going to put up all the groceries and get back to playing.
Again - thanks for the tips.
V

MPD 2 Pro, DS Pro with almost every feature and pattern collection

Posts: 67 | Registered: 06 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Virginia wrote:
Here's what I discovered...I purchased the MPD Pant Collection and compaired the DS Slim vs MPD Slim - the upper thigh doesn't draft the same - less ease or something.

Virginia,
I am wondering have you imported the slim pant from DS into MPD? If so, was there a difference in the way the slim pant drafted doing it that way? And what was the difference?

Rena

Posts: 75 | Registered: 06 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hi Rena
Sorry I wasn't really clear on what I did. Yes I imported the DS slim pant into MPD. The MPD back drafts at least 1" ease from the inseam angled downward towards the calf. The front closer to 1.5 to 1.75" ease - 1" again angles from the crotch inseam toward the calf and the other starts little lower than the hip and continues down to the calf. Both the front and back angles are closer to the leg. I hope that make sense. I haven't tried any other patterns to compair drafting differences. Just interesting the difference.
V

posted Hide Post
Sorry - my last post should have indicated that the DS drafts tighter to the leg than MPD. The ease amts indicated on MPD knee, calf and ankle are the same as DS. There isn't any indication on the pattern the amount of ease for the thigh area although you can see the ease lines on screen. It still drafts with a much tighter leg - enough so that when I made the slim pant yesterday I had extreme difficulty sitting. I've made the jean using the pattern within MPD and the fit is fantastic.
V
V

posted Hide Post
Virginia,
Very interesting on the pant comparison. That tells me I want to stick with MPD.
Anxious to hear your next report.

k

Posts: 203 | Location: mailto:kaydavid@verizon.net | Registered: 05 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks Virginia,
All of this information is very helpful. I have just made up a pair of pants I imported from Ds into MPD. I will be asking for help shortly in another post.

Rena

Posts: 75 | Registered: 06 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post